Communicate Sizes and Positions?

This is a discussion on Communicate Sizes and Positions? within the Beginning Developers forums, part of the Android Development category; Hi there, I am kind of new to Android and I am doing the graphics for an application, and I have to send to the ...

Thread: Communicate Sizes and Positions?

Communicate Sizes and Positions?

Hi there, I am kind of new to Android and I am doing the graphics for an application, and I have to send to the developer all the sizes and positions of icons and various items like separators etc. Now, because Android comes in so many sizes, how do you guys do normally? Do you give a relative size, like in percentage? Do you think of the sizes in all the different devices? Is the size given in pixels or what else?
    I read the Android developers guide about DPI but that didn't really enlighten me about what to send to this developer.

any suggestions, please?

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

329 times
    Welcome to the site. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some insight on this.

Desert -)
    I usually make all graphics relative to the next dimensions: 480 x 800 choosing in photoshop 320 ppi, 16 bit color depth, and places it in the
    res/drawable-nodpi folder.
    If you want much more better quality on tablets and app size is not important for you do all graphics relative to 1280 x 800 or 1024 x 600.

In my games I use pixel sizes for positions and sprite sizes relative to chosen 480 x 800.
    In applications I use the same graphics in android built-in GUI where you build your layouts. So I use dpi instead pixels for positions, margins there and whatever.
    Also i customzie a look of the same layout for tablets and smarthpones by modifiying the same layout with different values (using dpi) depending on tablet 7 inch, tablet 10 inch or phones.

What are you develop? Games or applications?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links