Controlling Robots with Android. Possible?

This is a discussion on Controlling Robots with Android. Possible? within the Beginning Developers forums, part of the Android Development category; Hello. I am totally new to Android and I am just starting to learn it. However I would like to know from the experienced users ...

Thread: Controlling Robots with Android. Possible?

Controlling Robots with Android. Possible?

Hello.
    I am totally new to Android and I am just starting to learn it.

However I would like to know from the experienced users and developers about the capabilities of the platform.

Right now I am developing a robot to be controlled by a computer (normal PC). The robot has normal motors and sensors and the control system runs on C++. It also will have a GUI for the user to enter some input and parameters.

Now, ideally it would be great that the user control the robot with a handheld device and this is where Android comes.

Is it even possible? Are there any examples of this? and if possible where should I start learning about this?

Any pointers from experienced users will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Kansai

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Definitely,

You can use apps like muliremote or gmote to control your computer, all you have to do it pass on the signal as it were.

If your computer controls the robot, program it so that pressing W moves forward, S back A right etc, basic one button movements,

Run the multimote server on your computer and launch the app from your phone,
    In multimote you can make your own remote, have say, 16-20 odd buttons on the screen that can be programmed to press WSAD whenever you hit them.

I tried it with WoW
    Worked well.

Multimote runs on wifi btw, and this method, through the computer,
    If you could run some programing magic to make it run directly to the bot, i wouldent be suprised.

Good Luck

-Fury

thanks!
    As I understand I will still need the PC and have the handheld device communicate with it through wifi.

I suppose that there is no way I can replace the PC with a mobile...say a tablet.... sorry if my question sounds stupid...

by the way, do you have or know any site or resource in the net with projects or info related to this?

Thanks a lot!

Kansai

actually i have wanted to make a robot with android for awhile now but i dont know that much about robots. but what i was thinking of doing is using lego nxt to power the robot and then there are nxt remotes for android devices so no need for a pc. here is my thread over at Android Tablet Forum A "real" ROBOT that you can see kind of what i am talking about, but if you need some ideas i would love to help.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links