Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone

This is a discussion on Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone within the Bell Canada forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; When I first got my N1, I had the unlimited non-smartphone data plan for $10. It didn't work on the N1. I set my phone ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone

When I first got my N1, I had the unlimited non-smartphone data plan for $10. It didn't work on the N1. I set my phone to "2G only", which according to your theory would allow me to use my existing data plan. That did not work. Rogers knew I had a smartphone and forced me to upgrade my plan before I could surf again.

I don't think it has anything to do with connecting via 2G or 3G mode and everything to do with the cell companies maximizing their revenues by knowing what devices consume high amounts of data and making sure you have a more expensive plan to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    When I first got my N1, I had the unlimited non-smartphone data plan for $10. It didn't work on the N1. I set my phone to "2G only", which according to your theory would allow me to use my existing data plan. That did not work. Rogers knew I had a smartphone and forced me to upgrade my plan before I could surf again.

I don't think it has anything to do with connecting via 2G or 3G mode and everything to do with the cell companies maximizing their revenues by knowing what devices consume high amounts of data and making sure you have a more expensive plan to cover it.
    then if you had the same result as with my experience with AT&T, they base the data plan with a database of IMEI or serial numbers, most likely IMEI because they receive the IMEI once you connect to the data network, that's how they identify their "subsidized" phone models. Weird thing is that they didn't know I had 4 different smartphones from Nokia o.O using 3G and high data per month.
    I switched from Symbian to Android on January 6 2010...

...then I sold my N1 to get the AT&T version but I'll wait for a qwerty solution from google or better with AT&T band support and got the Nokia E75...

lol

Quote Originally Posted by giodelgado View Post
    then if you had the same result as with my experience with AT&T, they base the data plan with a database of IMEI or serial numbers, most likely IMEI because they receive the IMEI once you connect to the data network, that's how they identify their "subsidized" phone models.
    Ya I would suspect something like that for sure.

Talking

The Telecom Service Provider (TSP) Knows your phone model and IMEI as soon as you insert your SIM Card into the device.

Data is Data is Data

2G= Voice (OR) Data (GPRS/EDGE )
    3G = Voice (AND) Data (UMTS/HSPA/EVDO)

Everything else is Marketing Jargon

Call your provider and tell them you want the $10 non-smart phone data plan. Then give them the imei of not your phone, but a dumbphone (ie. motorola razor). Go into your phone settings and setup the correct apns and voila. No, dumbphone plans aren't slower than smartphone plans, at least not on T-Mo. Check out my sig.

Stock N1 Froyo 2.2 FRF83
    Data: T-Mobile Web2go $10/mo
    Fast enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by 1.21 Jiggawatts View Post
    Call your provider and tell them you want the $10 non-smart phone data plan. Then give them the imei of not your phone, but a dumbphone (ie. motorola razor). Go into your phone settings and setup the correct apns and voila. No, dumbphone plans aren't slower than smartphone plans, at least not on T-Mo. Check out my sig.
    I had a non smart phone with Rogers with a $10 plan and as soon as I moved the SIM to my N1, I got a "you need to subscribe to a data plan" message. I forced the phone to 2G only... didn't matter. I don't care. I got a great deal with them so it ended up costing me about $3/month more for the legit plan anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by aseems View Post
    The Telecom Service Provider (TSP) Knows your phone model and IMEI as soon as you insert your SIM Card into the device.

Data is Data is Data

3G = Voice (AND) Data (UMTS/HSDPA/EVDO)

how is this relevant to the topic?

...then I sold my N1 to get the AT&T version but I'll wait for a qwerty solution from google or better with AT&T band support and got the Nokia E75...

lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1.21 Jiggawatts View Post
    I did that already, system automatically changed my data plan.

an you are right my 3G speeds were equal with my Nokias

lol

Cool Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by giodelgado View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aseems View Post

Data is Data is Data

3G = Voice (AND) Data (UMTS/HSDPA/EVDO)

how is this relevant to the topic?
    Read the entire thread. There was some confusion about how voice and data are sent. We are trying to explain how the systems work and it is relevant. Perhaps off-topic but makes sense in the context of the discussion.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links