Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone

This is a discussion on Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone within the Bell Canada forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Originally Posted by jonno2k There was some confusion about how voice and data are sent. We are trying to explain how the systems work and ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    There was some confusion about how voice and data are sent. We are trying to explain how the systems work and it is relevant.
    I found this link
    How mobile broadband works: An introduction to using wireless cellphone Internet from Explain that Stuff!

and this paragraph
    As long as cellphones were using circuit-switching technologies, they could work only at relatively slow speeds. But over the last decade or so, most service providers have rolled out networks that use packet-switching technologies. These are referred to as third-generation (3G) networks and they offer data speeds similar to low-speed landline broadband (typically 350kbps-2MBps). Over time, engineers have found ways of making packet-switching cellphone networks increasingly efficient. The current hot technology is known as HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access), HSPA, or "3.5G" and it's up to five times faster than 3G.
    This is why I think the $10 unlimited browser plan is referring to this type of older technology.

Except people that can fool their providers (different IMEI or whatever) get high-speed data for $10.

Except people that can fool their providers (different IMEI or whatever) get high-speed data for $10.
    ...which is considered theft of service, and something we don't discuss here.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    ...which is considered theft of service, and something we don't discuss here.
    Just so everybody is clear, you will read in this thread that I clearly subscribe to the proper high-speed data plan... (don't want to get tar and feathered )

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by cincon View Post
    There was some confusion about how voice and data are sent. We are trying to explain how the systems work and it is relevant.
    I found this link
    How mobile broadband works: An introduction to using wireless cellphone Internet from Explain that Stuff!

and this paragraph
    As long as cellphones were using circuit-switching technologies, they could work only at relatively slow speeds. But over the last decade or so, most service providers have rolled out networks that use packet-switching technologies. These are referred to as third-generation (3G) networks and they offer data speeds similar to low-speed landline broadband (typically 350kbps-2MBps). Over time, engineers have found ways of making packet-switching cellphone networks increasingly efficient. The current hot technology is known as HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access), HSPA, or "3.5G" and it's up to five times faster than 3G.
    This is why I think the $10 unlimited browser plan is referring to this type of older technology.
    A Simple guide to UNDERSTANDING BROADBAND ... BBC News - Why does broadband speed vary so much?

Quote Originally Posted by aseems View Post
    A Simple guide to UNDERSTANDING BROADBAND ... BBC News - Why does broadband speed vary so much?

There is nothing in that article about wireless. It's all about copper and fiber.

Is there anything in that article that is not just common sense (rush hour, etc.)?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aseems View Post

There is nothing in that article about wireless. It's all about copper and fiber.

Is there anything in that article that is not just common sense (rush hour, etc.)?
    Nope, Just my 2 pennies worth to cincon's excellent link ... WHAT a WEBSITE

Thanks Cincon!

Thanks for the website Cincon.

As stated previously data is data. When you make a voice call from your cell phone (dumb phone or smart phone) your voice gets converted to digital signals and get encapsulated into some kind of a frame witch is marked as voice (I donít know the exact details maybe some one here does). The frames are transmitted from your phone to the tower at a rate of 9.6Kbps (I know this because I use to have a classmate in collage that was a technician for a cellphone company). When you surf the web or send e-mails those frames will probably be marked as data and they will have TCP/IP packets encapsulated, there is probably some signaling between the phone and tower that will negotiate higher bandwidths for data traffic. Any ways in the end you are sending data no mather what phone you use and it looks like the wireless providers do charge you more based on how cool your phone is from what the other guys have been saying above. Maybe the cable companies will soon charge you more based on how big your TV is.

Quote Originally Posted by bereta View Post
    Thanks for the website Cincon.

As stated previously data is data. When you make a voice call from your cell phone (dumb phone or smart phone) your voice gets converted to digital signals and get encapsulated into some kind of a frame witch is marked as voice (I donít know the exact details maybe some one here does). The frames are transmitted from your phone to the tower at a rate of 9.6Kbps (I know this because I use to have a classmate in collage that was a technician for a cellphone company). When you surf the web or send e-mails those frames will probably be marked as data and they will have TCP/IP packets encapsulated, there is probably some signaling between the phone and tower that will negotiate higher bandwidths for data traffic. Any ways in the end you are sending data no mather what phone you use and it looks like the wireless providers do charge you more based on how cool your phone is from what the other guys have been saying above. Maybe the cable companies will soon charge you more based on how big your TV is.
    They don't charge you "more based on how cool your phone is", they charge you more based on how much bandwidth you're going to suck out of their network. I'm no fan of the confusing voice and data plans that the carriers create, but I think that they have every right to charge you more if your phone is going to put a heavier load on their infrastructure.

Smart phones are a much heavier load on the carrier network. The comparison with cable TV is completely fallacious. A comparison with the electric or water company would be a more valid comparison.

What a surprise it is that the carriers want to make huge amounts of money from customers and the customers want everything for free. I guess we have to meet somewhere in the middle then, don't we?

[quote=Beer Goggles;69609]
    Quote Originally Posted by bereta View Post

They don't charge you "more based on how cool your phone is", they charge you more based on how much bandwidth you're going to suck out of their network.
    Can some one explain to me how watching you tube or the ball game on a LG Xenon (considered a dumb phone by carriers) uses up less data than a Nexus One or any other "smart phone"?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links