Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone

This is a discussion on Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone within the Bell Canada forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Originally Posted by bereta Can some one explain to me how watching you tube or the ball game on a LG Xenon (considered a dumb ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Data plan - how caries know u have a smart phone

Quote Originally Posted by bereta View Post
    Can some one explain to me how watching you tube or the ball game on a LG Xenon (considered a dumb phone by carriers) uses up less data than a Nexus One or any other "smart phone"?
    Hopefully this doesn't get double-posted... my last reply seems to have gotten lost.

At any rate, I don't know what makes this phone a non smart-phone. It's 3G but maybe because the OS is fairly closed and you're stuck with their apps, they don't consider it a smart phone?? Not sure.

So there is no difference in bandwidth for your YouTube and mine. But a typical smart phone obviously does more than just that with lots of background data transfers. Put a data counter on your phone and don't use it for a day. You'll be surprised to see 5MB of data used up for "nothing". Email, videos, pictures, games, maps, etc... the more apps you can add, the more chances are you'll be eating more bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by bereta View Post
    Can some one explain to me how watching you tube or the ball game on a LG Xenon (considered a dumb phone by carriers) uses up less data than a Nexus One or any other "smart phone"?
    No, I cannot. It's a general principle.

Why do carriers charge 10 or 20 cents (in the US) for a text message that is effectively free for them to send? Because they can. Because people pay.

I think that maybe you should schedule a conference with all of the heads of the major carriers and get a detailed explanation of all the methods and formulas that they use to determine rates and phone categories. That would be very helpful for all of us. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Why do carriers charge 10 or 20 cents (in the US) for a text message that is effectively free for them to send? Because they can. Because people pay.
    Biggest. Scam. Ever.

If people only knew how free it really is for the carriers...

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    You'll be surprised to see 5MB of data used up for "nothing". Email, videos, pictures, games, maps, etc... the more apps you can add, the more chances are you'll be eating more bandwidth.
    Thanks for this Info!

Really useful heuristic to figure out monthly data usage...

Does MB= Mega Byte or Mega Bit?

Quote Originally Posted by aseems View Post
    Does MB= Mega Byte or Mega Bit?
    Typically big-B is Byte and small-B is bit.

1B = 8b

Typically, storage and usage type stuff is measured in Bytes. Whereas, bandwidth type stuff (wireless, DSL, T1, etc.) is measured in Bits (per second).

If you turn data off does the carrier still recognize your IMEI as a smartphone?

Quote Originally Posted by Knossonite View Post
    If you turn data off does the carrier still recognize your IMEI as a smartphone?
    Yes, it's a very basic part of how the phone connects to the network.

Wink

I just picked up an N1 to play around with. I've had a Nokia N97 on AT&T for over a year now and have been paying $15/mo for their basic phone unlimited data plan. I usually hammer their network for at least 2GB of traffic every month, but since I also have to carry around a work blackberry with data, the difference between $15/mo and $30/mo is the difference between me ditching the data plan and using wifi or my blackberry.

Anyway, I had my SIM in my N1 all day and overnight yesterday, woke up this morning to a couple of text messages from AT&T saying they've put me on the smartphone data plan. I pulled my SIM out and had them switch it back.

I knew AT&T detected iPhones and other AT&T branded smartphones but always thought unlocked phones were fair game. This really changes the math for buying an unsubsidized phone. I understand the business justification for charging higher for smartphone use, but it seems pretty shady that they force you to buy a data plan when you'd rather use voice with wifi. I was hoping there would be some way to spoof your phone, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Seems like your only recourse would be using a prepaid SIM, but that seems pretty drastic just to save $15.

Oh well, I'll probably stick with my N97. It's always done whatever I've asked it to do. It is slow and boring, but it's feature packed and is cheap to use. This whole revelation kinda makes me want to open up an internet cafe with my wifi hotspot app just to stick it to AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscoguy View Post
    Seems like your only recourse would be using a prepaid SIM, but that seems pretty drastic just to save $15.
    Actually, it's not drastic..I still have my old G1 in my glove box, with a pre-paid SIM in it, for emergencies. 'Emergencies' are quite frequent, since I stream audio all day long on my N1, and its battery is often dead about the time I need it to call the wife (that's my excuse, and I'm stickin with it!). :rofl3:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links