So, who's interested in the Dell Streak for AT&T?

This is a discussion on So, who's interested in the Dell Streak for AT&T? within the Dell Streak 5 forums, part of the Dell Android Phones category; Well the Captivate is already on 2.1, has a Super AMOLED screen, is already out, and fits in his pocket....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, who's interested in the Dell Streak for AT&T?

Well the Captivate is already on 2.1, has a Super AMOLED screen, is already out, and fits in his pocket.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

It's teh 19th, where's my damn Streak??

Well it was just a rumor.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendal View Post
    Why is that, emcee? :confused:
    Kinda what Joe Coolcool said. I would LOVE that big of a screen, but I just don't think it's very viable...I mean, it'd be fine in jeans, but what about sweatpants or bball shorts? Plus, there is no portrait mode for the homescreen.

The custom Android would scare me too, but Dell committed to 2.2 and I don't think they would not follow through, seeing as this is their re-entry in the smartphone game.

Size is certainly an often discussed issue with the Streak.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately on various android forums and almost everyone mentions the Streak's size when they talk about it. And, I'm getting the impression that more folks consider it's larger size a 'Pro' than consider it a 'Con'. Many Streak owners (remember, it's been released in the UK for over a month now) are saying that after using the Streak for a while, the other phones now seem way too tiny.

And, although some folks here complain that the Streak would be way too big to carry around, there's a lot of actual owners saying that it really is "pocket-able" and that they don't find it too big to carry at all. I think everyone is just going to have to make that decision for themselves. It will be too big for some and just fine for others.

The android version of 1.6 is also an issue often discussed. There's two things that make me personally feel more comfortable about it being released with an older version.

First, there isn't much that the older version holds you back from doing. There's very few apps that won't run on the older version but unless one of those happens to be a make it or break it issue for you personally, it's not really a big deal to wait for a new version of android. Users right now in the UK with the 1.6 version of android aren't suffering due to not having the newest version of android. They are using multi-touch zooming in their web browsing, etc. They haven't got Flash 10.1 capability but that doesn't seem to be such a big deal to most of them.

Second, the Streak is already rooted. Any time now there's going to be custom MODs out there with the newer versions of android. It's very likely that one of the modders will be out with it before Dell even has a chance to get their update done. And Dell has said officially that they will have an update out by the end of the year.

So, given those two considerations, I'm personally not real concerned that it's releasing with version 1.6. Sure, I'd rather have the newest version right away but it isn't going to hurt me to wait and I don't think I'll have to wait all that long, really.

As far as the portrait mode for the home screen, it's true that there is none with the stock release. But there is an app that gives you that capability. It's called AWD Launcher, I believe. You can search it yourself, if you want to, but per some of the Streak users in the UK, they've been using that app successfully and it gives them both portrait and landscape capability for their home screens. So, I'm personally not worried about the lack of a portrait home screen and I think it might be foolish to let that be a deciding factor on whether or not to consider getting the Streak.

There have been some posts praising the clarity and resolution of the Streak's screen over other phones, too. It's LCD technology is not the newer OLED technology, which does seem to have more striking colors. But the Streak's screen has been getting comments that it is clearer and crisper due to it's resolution and it doesn't 'wash out' and become hard to read in an outdoor kind of bright light setting.

So, anyway, personally I'm finding a lot more positive comments about the Streak (especially from those who have actually been using it) than negative ones. I do think you should decide whether you want a 'pocket-able' tablet or a phone primarily. If you just want a phone and aren't going to be doing much web browsing or email writing and such, then I'd consider going with one of the Droid models or maybe the Desire instead of the Streak.

But the Streak has a lot going for it and I think it'd be a mistake to pass it up without taking a good close look at it for yourself. I know I'm going to.

Oh, and with all that text I forgot to mention one of the great features that really caught my attention with the Streak.

That's the second front-facing camera. You're going to be needing that if you ever intend to make video calls with your cell phone. The Streak and the Backflip (when it's opened up) are the only two phones that I can think of that have a front facing camera capability.

There may be other phones that can do that too, but I don't know of any.

I may be wrong, but I believe the EVO has a front facing camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe the EVO has a front facing camera.
    Yep, I just checked and, you're right, it does.

Those are good points, Lendal, and honestly, everything I listed is minor in my eyes. In all likelyhood, that screen alone would make me forget everything else.

It should also be noted it is verrrrrry thin; it's something like 9mm thick.

EDIT: Just read .4" thick. 9 mm is about .35", so that's about right.

Do we have a release date on it yet... i cant wait... i would buy it direct from Dell and hope that they dont put the bloatware on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links