Dell Streak Specs

This is a discussion on Dell Streak Specs within the Dell Streak 5 forums, part of the Dell Android Phones category; Hardware-wise, the Dell Streak features the following: A sharp 5-inch capacitive multi-touch WVGA (800x480) display for a great full-screen experience watching video or browsing the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Streak Specs

dandroid

Dell Streak Specs

Hardware-wise, the Dell Streak features the following:

• A sharp 5-inch capacitive multi-touch WVGA (800x480) display for a great full-screen experience watching video or browsing the web
    • Fast 1GHz Snapdragon ARM-based mobile processor from Qualcomm
    • 5 MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash that offers easy point & shoot capability and quick uploads to YouTube, Flickr, Facebook and more
    • VGA front-facing camera enables video chat functionality down the road
    • A user-removable (and replaceable) battery
    • A 3.5mm headphone jack means many of you can use the Dell Streak as the music source (and more) in your car
    • Integrated 3G + Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + Bluetooth 2.1 (think headsets, external keyboards, stereo headsets, etc.)
    • UMTS / GPRS / EDGE class 12 GSM radio with link speeds of HSDPA 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA
    • A user-accessible Micro SD slot expandable up to 32GB. That means you can store lots of movies, music, photos or other kinds of files.

On the software side, here's what you can expect:
    • A customized multi-touch version of the Google Android operating system that features Dell user interface enhancements
    • Access to over 38,000 apps (and growing) via the Android Marketplace
    • Microsoft Exchange connectivity and integration through TouchDown
    • Google Voice support
    • Integrated Google Maps with voice-activated search, turn-by-turn navigation, street and satellite views
    • Quick access to activity streams via integrated social network app widgets like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I heard it's running Android1.6.

That's the only downside to it for me. I like everything else about it I just don't want to get stranded in an obsolete operating system again

The following statement is from a Dell press release dated May 25, 2010:

"The Dell Streak was designed with the future in mind and will support over-the-air updates including platform upgrades, Adobe Flash 10.1 on Android™ 2.2 later this year, video chat applications and other software innovations."

Here's a link to the article.

Of course, the reality is that you'll be limited to whatever operating system it comes out of the box with plus whatever updates you get over the air, until the device is rooted.

After rooting you're then limited by whatever custom mods come along through the Android community.

Just like any other Android device, really.

dandroid
    Updated Specs from Dell's website:

Operating System
    Android (multi-touch UI)
    Processors
    QSD 8250

Bands :
    UMTS 2100 / 1900 / 850 MHz
    GSM / EDGE 1900 / 1800 / 900 / 850 MHz
    HSDPA / HSUPA:HSDPA 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
    Display
    5" (12.7 cm) WVGA (800 x 480) in-cell TFT LCD supporting multi-touch

Camera
    5.0M Rear-Facing Auto-Focus Camera + VGA Front-Facing Camera

Video
    H.263 / H.264, .3GP, MPEG4, WMV

Sound
    MP3, WMA, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, Midi, WAV

Messaging
    SMS, MMS, Email, IM

Browser
    WebKit (Android)

Memory
    512 MB ROM + 512 MB SDRAM + 2 GB non-user accessible MicroSD for system & applications files only

Don't forget the free copy of Avatar on that MicroSD! :D

I've been talking to AT&T and looking over my contract with them. It has given me some interesting $$ numbers to work with.

After all the dust settles, I can get a Streak from Dell for about $500. Put my old SIM chip in it and I'm good to go on my existing AT&T plan.

Or I can save about $150 by buying out of my AT&T contract, going with Verizon and getting a new Droid X in the bargain. That would be with Verizon's slightly better voice plan and an unlimited data plan both costing the same amount per month as I pay now with AT&T. Interesting...

Have you looked at the specs on the Droid X lately? Plus $150 less than getting a Streak? Very interesting indeed...

How many months do you have left? If it's only a few why not wait it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Lendal View Post
    I've been talking to AT&T and looking over my contract with them. It has given me some interesting $$ numbers to work with.

After all the dust settles, I can get a Streak from Dell for about $500. Put my old SIM chip in it and I'm good to go on my existing AT&T plan.

Or I can save about $150 by buying out of my AT&T contract, going with Verizon and getting a new Droid X in the bargain. That would be with Verizon's slightly better voice plan and an unlimited data plan both costing the same amount per month as I pay now with AT&T. Interesting...

Have you looked at the specs on the Droid X lately? Plus $150 less than getting a Streak? Very interesting indeed...
    Well if you're thinking about switching carriers in the first place, you must not be satisfied with At&t in the first place. Go with the carrier that works for you first and the look at their phones.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

@Emcee, I have to wait until Nov. of next year before I'm eligible for a phone upgrade with AT&T. I signed up for a 2yr contract with them a few months ago when I got my Backflip. According to my contract on line, it'll cost me about $160 to cancel my service with them before Nov. 2011.

@Joecoolcool, You're missing the point completely. I am satisfied with AT&T and at the same time I'm thinking of leaving them because it's the cheapest way for me to get a great phone. The actual point is you don't have to be dissatisfied with them to want to leave them. In my case, it's $150 cheaper for me to leave them in order to be able to get the phone I want.

The Streak is a great phone because of it's decent specs, 2nd camera and large screen. The Droid X is a great phone also because of it's decent specs, large screen and some incredible performance benchmarks in some of the comparison reviews that I've seen. The Droid X screen is only slightly smaller than the Streak and it's got a slightly higher resolution.

I think I could live without the 2nd camera for two reasons. First there really isn't anyone right now that I want make video calls with. Second, video calling today isn't all that great. It stutters, blurs and just is generally pretty crappy. By the time video calling 'matures', I'll probably be on about some other newer better phone that's just a gleam in some developer's eye right now.

So basically to stay with AT&T and get the phone I want will cost me about $550-600. To leave them and go with Verizon and get the phone I want there will cost me about $375-400.

If I'm wrong about this, please let me know before I do something stupid. By the way, Consumer Reports rates Verizon much higher in customer satisfaction than AT&T. Just sayin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links