HTC Aria Rooting Guide

This is a discussion on HTC Aria Rooting Guide within the HTC Aria Hacks & Mods forums, part of the HTC Aria category; This was orginally posted on XDA-Developers by gtg465x with credit also to eugene373 and attn1: Prerequisites... Note: If you're in Linux, you only need to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTC Aria Rooting Guide

dandroid

HTC Aria Rooting Guide

This was orginally posted on XDA-Developers by gtg465x with credit also to eugene373 and attn1:

Prerequisites...

Note: If you're in Linux, you only need to do Step 4, Step 6, and Step 7.

Step 0.
    Download and install HTC Sync: http://www.htc.com/us/support/aria-att/downloads/

Step 1.
    Download and unzip the Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Step 2.
    Go into the folder where you unzipped the Android SDK and open "SDK Setup.exe".
    If you aren't greeted with a failed to fetch URL error, proceed to Step 3. If you did receive this error, go to Settings in the "Choose Packages to Install" window and check "Force https;//... sources to be fetched using http://..."
    Close and re-open "SDK Setup.exe".

Step 3.
    When the "Choose Packages to Install" window pops up, make sure the package "Usb Driver package, revision x" is checked. You can uncheck everything else. Click Install. After it downloads and installs, close "Android SDK and AVD Manager".

Step 4.
    With your device unplugged from your computer, go to Settings > Application > Development on your device and turn on USB Debugging.

Step 5.
    Now plug your device in to your computer. This is just to make sure the USB drivers are installed.
    Once they are installed, unplug your device and turn it off.

Step 6.
    This step is optional, but it may prevent an error later on in the process. If you've never formatted your SD card from a computer, remove it from the phone and format it in Windows or OSX with an external card reader. Then place the formatted card back in your phone, but leave the phone off.

Step 7.
    Download the updated Root.zip from eugene373's guide: Root the Slide & Other HTC Devices*6/15/2010* How-To Updated 6/29/2010

Now let's get started...

Step 0.
    Unzip Root.zip

Step 1.
    Place the contents ("update.zip", "ota.zip", and "loop") into the Android SDK tools folder.

Step 2.
    Open Command Prompt or Terminal and CD to the SDK tools directory.

Step 3.
    Power on your device into the bootloader by holding the "Volume Down" key and simultaneously pressing Power.
    Once you're in the bootloader, wait about 30 seconds until some diagnostic checking is done.
    Press "Volume Down" to highlight Recovery, but do not push Power to execute just yet.

Step 4.
    Now run your loop file from the prompt (either type "loop" in Windows or "./loop.sh" in Linux) (refer to ice3186's post for Mac instructions)
    Note: The loop does nothing but show you the connection status of your phone. It's not technically required, but we'll use it in this guide.

Step 5.
    Once the loop is running in your prompt, get ready to connect the phone to the computer with the USB cable, but don't connect one end quite yet. With Recovery still highlighted on your phone, you will need to push the Power button and then immediately plug in the other end of the USB cord.

Step 6.
    After a few seconds, you should see your device listed in the loop.

Step 7.
    Unplug the USB cable from the bottom of your phone and plug it back in. You probably don't need to do this, but let's be safe. Wait for your device to show up in the loop again. Hit CTRL-C to terminate the loop.

Step 8.
    You should see a triangle/exclaimation over a phone graphic.
    Hold the "Volume Up" key (note it's Volume UP this time) and simultaneously press Power.
    After the menu comes up, use the volume and power buttons to select and run update.zip. (This will fail, but we already know that! Select it anyway.)

Step 9.
    Paste the following command into your prompt and press Enter.
    adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip (*OSX users add a ./ in front of all terminal commands please)

Step 10.
    This is very important!! Have this next command ready in your prompt before running update.zip again!!
    This is the command. Paste it into your prompt, but DO NOT press Enter yet.
    adb push update.zip /sdcard

Step 11.
    Run update.zip and as soon as you see a faint progress bar appear behind the text at the bottom of the screen, push Enter to execute the command in your prompt.

Step 12.
    If successful, you should see Clockwork Recovery and you now have Su and Superuser.apk installed! You can now reboot your phone into the OS to verify. If unsuccessful, repeat steps 11 and 12.

Step 13.
    This step is optional, but it will save you the pain of going through all of these steps again in the future.
    Unrevoked team: Recovery reflash tool (updated - Now for Aria/Liberty!)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Has anyone had any issues with this? Just curious, I will be ordering my Aria tomorrow.

dandroid
    I haven't had a chance to use an Aria, the specs are pretty impressive though.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by peteseiler2010 View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with this? Just curious, I will be ordering my Aria tomorrow.
    Definitely do a review for us once you get it!

Will do, I have been hearing alot of good news about it, I am keeping my Backflip as a backup phone.

I love my aria. It does all the things my backflip won't.
    Having trouble rooting your aria? Need help?
    Then goto freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)
    attn1 and the rest of the OPs are there to help walk you through the process.

I will be trying this out on my Aria i just picked up.

After about 6 hours i am now fully rooted (with modded recovery and all).Its definantly not easy but if you keep trying you will get it!Thank you for the guide.

We had a number of people that have had trouble with this method in the IRC support channel, because something was awry during the flashing of the last update.zip pushed and there is no verification that things went okay. The process is challenging, and once you get to clockwork revocery for the first time, I don't recommend step 12 - instead I recommend flashing a rooted ROM. It's very clear when you flash a rom that things are happening, and you get positive confirmation that you had a successful completion.

More people have successfully rooted the Aria following this method than any other: xda-developers - View Single Post - How to root the HTC Aria

Linux and Mac are less troublesome than PCs because of PC driver issues, and HTC sync interfering with unrevoked's reflash utility, which flashes custom recovery that makes updating ROMS a snap.

Credit to finding the exploit all of these methods use goes to the unrevoked team, and for Eugene for posting up the Mytouch3G Slide method, which I adapted for the Aria when I was the first one to root it.

If you are going to try this, be patient and I hope to see you at some point in IRC.

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

Quote Originally Posted by SSeymour View Post
    After about 6 hours i am now fully rooted (with modded recovery and all).Its definantly not easy but if you keep trying you will get it!Thank you for the guide.
    Congratulations! Did you enable sideloading apps as well?

Quote Originally Posted by peteseiler2010 View Post
    Yes - two ways- wrong package flashed and flash failure - and you don't know until you've rebooted. There are a lot of pakages out there, and if you don't get Eugene's latest, you can get into clockwork without flashing the superuser stuff that gets you root. The process is a PIA, and I'd rather be sure about what just happened. We've had a quite a number of failures show up in the IRC channel as a result. Instead of step 12, I really recommend flashing a rooted ROM, which gives you more feedback about what just happened.

History:

• Eugene developed a method for rooting the MT3G Slide by using an exploit uncovered by the unrevoked team
    • I first rooted the first Aria using an adaptation of Eugene's original MT3GS method
    • I posted my success and pointed to Eugene's work
    • I repacked a stock ROM with root so that it could be used to flash once you got clockwork loaded that first time.
    • I also made available a stock ROM rooted, minus AT&T applications, and changing the default web browser page to Google, as it should be on an Android, so there are two choices of pre-rooted roms available.
    • I posted my modified method in post#2 of my original how to thread
    • I contacted the unrevoked team and worked with them to get the Aria added to the list of deviced they support with their reflash recovery utility. (all I did was supply info and alpha test - they did the real work there.)
    • The "clarified" method quoted here was posted on XDA, which while it works, does not work better or easier than the original method, and in the end just causes confusion and adds frustration because when it fails it is not clear before you leave recovery.

I really recommend using this method http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6906288&postcount=2

I hope to see all of you soon in our IRC channel!

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#liberatedAria

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links