Backing Up Apps on the ATT HTC Aria

This is a discussion on Backing Up Apps on the ATT HTC Aria within the HTC Aria forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Now that I am on my 3rd Aria and tired of downloading all my apps over and over from the market again, I installed Astro ...

Thread: Backing Up Apps on the ATT HTC Aria

Backing Up Apps on the ATT HTC Aria

Now that I am on my 3rd Aria and tired of downloading all my apps over and over from the market again, I installed Astro File Manager and backed up all my apps to the SD card. However, when I tried to installed the apps from the SD card, it won't let me "for security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market." ATT insists this is inherit in the Android OS and has nothing to do with ATT, I think it is ATT BS - why else would there be an app to back up and reinstall apps in the Android Market if it was not working with Android? Any ideas, or help with this? Any ideas on how to back up apps?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Member wikidcerealkilla_attdroids's Avatar
    The problem with restoring your apps is that you have to save the apps to the sdcard. In order to install an app from the sdcard you have to be able to select an option "unknown sources" which allows you to install nonmarket apps. Like ones you get off the web and save to ur card... unfortunately at&t has decided to remove that option out of the settings. So yeah... its at&ts fault you can't back up apps

HTC Aria Cyanogen 6 nightly (10/05/10) using Tapatalk Pro
    HTC Aria... rooted
    Clockwork recovery
    CYANOGEN 7 Gingerbread
    Overclocked to 805 MHz

Former phones...
    HTC G1... that I have since rooted and gave to brother.
    Motorola Backflip... many calls and replacements till they gave me the Aria
    IPhone 3g... enough said

Generally it's not a good idea to do what you're wanting to do anyway though. Technically you could still use ADB to install all of the apps that you have saved to your sdcard as a backup. The problem though is that this breaks the Android Market and you will no longer get automatic updates and notifications for those apps. It may be a small hassle but it's still better to reinstall everything (or at least everything that is available) from the Market so that you keep your automatic update notifications.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links