Gingerbread update?

This is a discussion on Gingerbread update? within the HTC Desire Z forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Guys, i have just received an OTA system notification for OS update to Gingerbread (Android 2.3) on my htc Desire Z. Did anyone tried this, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gingerbread update?

Gingerbread update?

Guys, i have just received an OTA system notification for OS update to Gingerbread (Android 2.3) on my htc Desire Z.

Did anyone tried this, shall i go ahead for the update?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Android.net

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It's the official ota from tmobile for your phone? Then yes download it by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    It's the official ota from tmobile for your phone? Then yes download it by all means.
    YA its official ota, but in india, and the carreir is airtel.

I have upgraded it on a single tap, thanks to htc. Its working fine like before....

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Good to know.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Ok great thanks for letting us know.

Wait guys... Its just a day i had upgraded my desire z, but now im not happy with this, mobile gets restart automatically after some time, after starting it asks to send the crash report to htc.... It happend 5-6 times today, no new app downloaded.

There is no particular situation on which it gets crashed. Sometime it crashes during the phone call sometimes sliding through the home screens and sometimes while opening any application.

The restart duration is also increased as much as twice as before, it takes lot of time to navigate smoothly through the home pages after the restart happens.

Is it possible to degrade to my previuos version, my mobile is still on the warranty period. Rather im not in hurry to go to the service center to degrade it, it will keep it for few more days and try to find out what are the other issues coming after the upgrade.

This was my second upgrade i got via OTA, the earlier upgrade build was 1.82.720.1 for the version 2.2.1. Since my earlier upgrade was successful and didnt came across of any issues i upgraded this 2.3.3 as well. But this very poor performer.

What are the new features and look n feel changes, that i have got in my mobile, i will post after sometime.

Thanks
    Smeet sinha

Quote Originally Posted by smeetsinha View Post
    no new app downloaded.
    Means i didnt tried downloading any new application from market, so it is not the case that any new crappy app is doing
    wrong here.

1.Now the time n weather widget has come up with the audio also, earlier it was animation only.

2. Left side button of the "phone" button has different look, earlier it was like an "up arrow" now it is like square kinda icon there.

3. Changes in the "all app" screen, if u select the view type to "grid", then the scrolling can be done pagewise, that is 4(row) * 4(col) app at a time.
    The "all app" page has three categories now, "all app", "frequent" and "downloaded" tabs. It is a very good feature in case if u have lots of downloaded apps from market, bit easier to locate them now. Also it is now easier find out ur frequently used apps.

4. The best feature which I'm sure will be welcomed by most of the desire z user is an introduction of quick setting tab in the notification and alert page. Although Samsung and other device already had this even on their cheaper model but it was not there in the desire z.
    It has saved a whole page of my home screen which was full of the different settings widgets like hotspot, WiFi, Bluetooth etc.
    And now no need to minimize the app for turning on the WiFi or Bluetooth etc, now I will just drag the notification bar and switchon or switchoff these useful settings.
    The list of setting's shortcuts under the quick setting tab of notification page are :-
    WiFi
    Bluetooth
    WiFi hotspot
    GPS
    Mobile network
    And shortcut to settings page for all settings is also there with the name "all settings".

5. Remarkable changes in the settings -> application menus. New quick launch application page is there where u can now assign any of the app installed to any alphabetical keys ie now u can assign extra 26 apps to a - z keys of ur keyboard.

6. One more new menu in the applications page that is "storage use" which will give u the application wise memory storage information. Now we can see which app is taking how much memory space in the phone/card.

7. You will get surprised by the performance of the manage application screen. All the list of application will get load immediatly when u open the manage application page. I have total of 256 apps installed as per the "share my app". Below i'll post the list.

8. All the Prev apps are working. Out of them only 2 are paid and both of them are working. The paid apps which i have is photowall and vplayer.

9. The text selection marquee are bigger and nice in both htc and stock android interface apps like gmail. You just need to tap the the gmails text selection marquee after selecting the text and it will copy into the clipboard. While in HTC interface it will work same as earlier, it will give you the option to copy n cut, but the selection handles are much improved here.

10. There is a minor change in the accounts n sync page. If you are using htc mail application and you have configured 2 - 3 accounts on it, they will all list in the account list with the sync option for all the accounts of htc mail.
    But i found a minor issue here, is that the new mails are not coming automaticaly and as quickly as it was coimng on the earlier version. Only when i open the htc mail app then they all start falling one by one into the inbox. Maybe I have to check for the settings if there are any.

So these are the changes which can be seen in the htc interface, im sure you all must be aware of the new features of the android 2.3 so im not highlighting them here. Anyways you can google them.

Now what about the quality of the calls, after all this is a phone?
    Im sorry to say that it crashed 3 times at the middle of the call. The third crash happend immediatly after the 2nd crash, i was just explaing my friend that sorry my phone got crashed and it automatically restarted and it again crashed. :D

I didnt had much calls today, will check it for more 2-3 days then i'll update here too.

Not only during the calls it got crashed 3-4 times doing nothing, one time when it was on my pocket....LOL. I heard the startup tone and when I took it out, it was htc logo on the screen.
    Now the crashing frequency has increased and they started making me really uncomfortable as these CPU driven phone takes too much time to start.

These are the list of downloaded apps installed on my device:-
    3D Matrix II Reloaded
    Android.net
    BookMyShow
    Bump
    ColorNote
    Convo
    DI Radio
    Great mechanics: Royal Enfield
    HindiTop
    Hindu Calendar
    PhotoWall Upgrade
    Saavn
    Speech Synthesis Data Installer (ENG-GBR)
    Speech Synthesis Data Installer (ENG-USA)
    Team-BHP
    Advanced Task Cleaner 2.0
    AIM
    AirMail
    Allrecipes
    Amazon Kindle
    AndExplorer
    Android Market Security Tool March 2011
    Blogger
    Call Confirm
    CamCard
    CamScanner
    ConvertPad - Unit Converter
    CricBuzz
    Data counter widget
    Dictionary
    Discount Calculator
    Docs
    ESPNcricinfo
    Exchange Rates
    Flickr
    Flikie Wallpapers HD
    FxCamera
    Google Sky Map
    Google+
    IMDb
    Indian Rail
    Indian Recipes
    iTriage
    JuiceDefender
    LinkedIn for HTC Sense
    Messenger Voice and Video Plug-in Messenger: MixZing
    Mr. Number
    msnbc.com
    My Tracks
    myYearbook
    NDTV
    Notes
    pFinance
    Photoshop Express
    PhotoWall Live Wallpaper
    Pic Paint
    Picasa Downloader
    Picasa Web Albums
    Pickup Quotes
    picplz
    PowerAMP
    Pulse
    QuickPic
    ShareMyApps
    Stock Watcher
    TOI
    Translate
    TripIt
    txeet
    VPlayer
    VPlayer Unlocker
    Wapedia
    WebMD W
    ikitude
    World Newspapers

How about did you contact your carrier and the maker of the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    How about did you contact your carrier and the maker of the phone?
    No, not yet, just trying to figure out what other issues it has with 2.3 upgrade. But i'll contact the htc customer care about this issue, and i will degrade the os version on my device with the help of customer care or by factory reset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links