HTC EVO 4G Root

This is a discussion on HTC EVO 4G Root within the HTC EVO 4G Hacks forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; The question I have been pondering is. Why root the EVO? I understand that some people want to be able to have full control over ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HTC EVO 4G Root

Why Root?

The question I have been pondering is. Why root the EVO?

I understand that some people want to be able to have full control over everything and get all the Junk off of the phone that you dont want.The main reason I have seen talked about is to be able to tether and use wifi hotspot, but in doing this you lose access to part of the app store. So why not use the free app to tether and then use your computer to be the access point via an ADHOC connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Adherant View Post

I understand that some people want to be able to have full control over everything and get all the Junk off of the phone that you dont want.The main reason I have seen talked about is to be able to tether and use wifi hotspot, but in doing this you lose access to part of the app store. So why not use the free app to tether and then use your computer to be the access point via an ADHOC connection?
    The free app from Android does not work without root access. The Sprint application is not free. $30 for unlimited usage. If you use the Sprint hotspot application without paying the $30 fee, you will be charged infinitely more.

I'm using the free version of PDA Net. You have to tether with USB but I have no problem connecting to pretty much anything. I think https does not work after trial.

I am also using pdanets free version and my phone is not rooted. There is another one out there that Metalhead suggested to me. EasyTether, the full app allows https and costs a one time fee of 9.99$ They also have a free version

Quote Originally Posted by Startacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adherant View Post

The free app from Android does not work without root access. The Sprint application is not free. $30 for unlimited usage. If you use the Sprint hotspot application without paying the $30 fee, you will be charged infinitely more.
    As others have post you can use the free app PDA net using the usb cable. Once connected to your computer you can create an adhoc connection that will act as a hotspot with no limit of devices connected.

I've been using EasyTether since I had my Hero and it works flawlessly. I tried PDAnet and it really isn't worth the cost when EasyTether is available for a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by redstar299 View Post
    I can see the $10 for the 4G, it's a lot faster -- but $30 for hotspot is a joke. Do they really think they can take down iPhone with this? I was really looking forward to this phone but that's insane. Plus who needs to tether 8 computers? I can see charging $30 for 8 but i only need 1 - Sorry Dan, I'll stick with Steve- at least he doesn't lie.
    I would like to see a hack for the hot spot so we do not need to pay for it.

I would like to see a hack for the hot spot so we do not need to pay for it. Its robbing us without a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodjoe View Post
    I would like to see a hack for the hot spot so we do not need to pay for it. Its robbing us without a gun.

Thats here on forum somewhere -happy hunting.
    "Or was" hmmm...

hotrod if you only need access to 1 other device tether with easytether or pdanet they are free...or maybe redstar is the one who only needs 1 more either way

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links