Root - Can you go back?

This is a discussion on Root - Can you go back? within the HTC EVO 4G Hacks forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; Once an EVO is rooted, can you restore it to a factory state? If so, is it hard to do? Thanks....

Thread: Root - Can you go back?

Root - Can you go back?

Once an EVO is rooted, can you restore it to a factory state? If so, is it hard to do?

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I just did it. It's easy to do, but if you didn't backup your EVO, you loose everthing and your back to "out of the box".

Google "unrooting EVO". You basically need the latest HTC Connect running and then download the 1.32xxxxxxxx update that came out the first part of June.

As soon as I unrooted my EVO, the new update started the update tonight. Next I expect to see all the apps back in the Market that went missing due to my phone being rooted and Google not recognizing my phones OS "fingerprint".

Rooting has so many issues in my opinion unless you are a developer or you like "fiddling" all the time. It breaks too many things for me; it screws up the Market so many apps don't show up or install anymore and it screws with updates from Sprint.

It you want to root, go get an old phone and have fun. The EVO is too new to screw up. I'll put up with Sprint junk in exchange for a hassle-free EVO ownership.

All I want to root it for is the wi-fi hotspot feature. I don't mind the Sprint stuff.

I wonder what would happen if you rooted your phone after installing one of those "mysterious disappearing apps"? If you back it up and copy it back to your system, it should still work right? (notwithstanding any incompatibilities with the ROM you used.)

Or do they check the "fingerprint" each time they run?

The other issue you potentially run into is you will not get updates on the software or your phone. My rooted EVO got NO update notices the past few days. It wasn't until I unrooted it. As soon as the phone booted up unrooted, the update started. And the missing apps all had updates waiting in the Market.

Root if you want. But to me, the cost far outway the benefit. The ONLY benefit I really see is the wireless tether. Wireless tether is pretty cool, but I'll deal with tether and the free PDANet app all day long for peace of mind and simplicity.
    Barrett

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links