boot looping rooted evo 4g

This is a discussion on boot looping rooted evo 4g within the HTC EVO 4G Hacks forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; Originally Posted by evolushun I had this same thing happen to me and I have a question for MetalHead or anyone who would know. For ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boot looping rooted evo 4g

Quote Originally Posted by evolushun View Post
    I had this same thing happen to me and I have a question for MetalHead or anyone who would know. For some reason, my phone booted back up after I installed the stock rooted rom but it's not working right. It lags real bad, my Superadmin icon is black with crossbones in it and none of my contacts are updated. I had to re-enter my gmail info but all my programs were still there. What do I do now?
    If your stuff was still there after the flash it means you didn't wipe everything properly. Make sure you wipe EVEREYTHING, including cache, dalvik AND ext partition and then reflash your rooted stock ROM. I recommend using calkulin's format all script that can be found HERE. If it's still sluggish after that, run a RUU. If it's still sluggish after that, it's hardware related and it's time to bring your phone in to sprint. This same thing happened to me a while back and I ended up having to get a new phone. The superuser icon with the crossbones is the current icon I believe, so don't worry about that. Mine is the same one.

So this was never solved but I found a fix for my phone. I wanted to post my fix here just so that it's out there. Maybe it will work for someone.

DISCLAIMER:

1. YOU NEED A HEAT GUN.
    2. IT'S NOT AN EASY FIX AND REQUIRES A FULL TEAR DOWN

The Problem:
    My rooted launch Evo was stuck in an odd boot loop. I thought it could be software but it wouldn't reboot at a specific moment rather different times. Sometimes it wouldn't reboot for a minute, other times it would reboot after a couple of seconds after hitting the power button. This led me to believe that it was hardware related.

A couple of weeks back my wife dropped it in the dog bowl for a second but it booted up normally and worked well for several weeks.

I also have it overclocked and it tends to heat up a wee bit more compared to when it was stock. Maybe the problem is similar to what the PS3 and Xbox experience with the immense heat and the subsequent fracturing of the GPA connection.

I had this problem with my PS3 and after researching I decided that since it was already broken to tear it down to the board and heat up the GPU. What happens is that the thermal compound is crap and dries out after a while. mine lasted 4 year until this happened. Anyways, the compound dries up and the chip overheats causing the connections to the board to fracture. Heating up the GPU liquefies the connections a bit and the fractures fill in.

I decided that since the phone was busted, I would apply the same logic. It was a crap shoot basically but it ended up working. So for those that give up and are willing to try this over buying a new phone just tear your Evo down to the board and heat the sucker up a bit. I used the low setting on my heat gun. I didn't bother to remove the ribbons and instead avoided blasting them with heat and focused on the rest of the board. You might want to remove them completely if you don't want to burn them.

Instructions to tear down your EVO:

HTC Evo 4G Teardown - iFixit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links