new root user

This is a discussion on new root user within the HTC EVO 4G Hacks forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; Do you know or how to the root the evo? and if so what program can i use to backup my phone system in case ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new root user

Smile new root user

Do you know or how to the root the evo? and if so what program can i use to backup my phone system in case i have trouble? When u root a phone does it wipes everything including the sd card. is it possible to save my apps to my sd card before i root my phone so i wont have to install everything.

I heard some people use revoked.
    what is the best method to root the evo?

phone details
    2.2 version
    kernel 2.6.32.15
    software 3.39.561.5

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Unrevoked is the easiest and most reliable way to root your EVO. With that method, you will not lose any of your data because it does not wipe your phone.

For backups, I use Titanium Backup. It will back up all your apps and all your system data so in the event that you do wipe, you can restore everything and have your phone back to normal in no time.

Here is the thread that explains how to use Unrevoked. I recommend reading the instructions thoroughly a few times so you have an understanding of what you are doing.

thanks u actually helped

can you tell me what is unrevoked forever is and do i need it

Metalhead-

What's the difference between
    Recovery: Amon RA 1.8.0 and Titanium Backup?

can you tell me what is unrevoked forever is and do i need it
    Unrevoked Forever is a way of setting the security off at the radio level. Basically it allows you to permanently root your phone without any worries of losing root if you decide to accept an OTA update (which you should never do anyways). Unrevoked 3.21 still gives you a full root, but I don't believe it sets S-OFF at that low of a level, don't quote me on that though. Bottom line is if you ran Unrevoked 3.21 you do not need to run Unrevoked Forever.

What's the difference between Recovery: Amon RA 1.8.0 and Titanium Backup?
    Amon Ra is a custom recovery image that allows you to flash whatever it is you want to flash on your phone (ROMs, kernels, themes, fonts, scripts). This is a big part of rooting, without a custom recovery you are very limited with what you can do with your root, in other words you won't have a full root without one. There are two to choose from, Clockwork and Amon Ra. Both have their pluses and minuses, but I prefer Amon RA. Custom recoveries also allow you to do nand backups, which are basically a system restore point. Before you make any modifications to your system, do a nand backup and if something gets screwed up during your modifications you can restore your backup and be back to where you were before you messed with your phone.

Titanium Backup is simply an app that allows you to back up EVERYTHING on your phone, and is a great tool for flashaholics like myself. I can wipe all my data, flash a new ROM, and then do a batch restore with Titanium and have everything back the way I like it in a matter of minutes.

In what situation would you use Titanium Backup vs. Amon RA? They sound very similar to me.

I'm thinking about rooting my phone. The main driver for me, are the great themes available on XDA.

What would the necessary steps be to protect myself against something going wrong? Do I root first, and then run Titanium Backup?

Like I said, they are two completely different things. Amon is not an app, it's a custom recovery. Use it for any flashing that you're going to do + nandroid backups. Titanium Backup is an app that backs up your all your apps and system settings.

The steps to a successful root are:
    1. research
    2. research
    3. RESEARCH
    4. root with Unrevoked 3.21
    5. backup apps/system settings with Titanium
    6. nandroid backup
    7. research
    8. flash whatever ROM you want (needs to be deodexed for a theme to work/be stable)
    9. restore apps/system data with Titanium

Unrevoked 3.2.1 will put Clockwork as your custom recovery. You can always switch to Amon RA after rooting. If you are going to switch, do your nandroid with Clockwork before you flash Amon just in case. After you flash Amon, do another nandroid just because you can't restore a Clockwork nandroid with Amon and vice versa.

Any further questions you might have I would recommend using google to find your answers. Not because I don't want to help you, because I do, but because the best way to learn is to do it yourself. Read as much as you can and really try to understand what it is you are doing BEFORE you try and root or flash any ROMs or themes.

lol i had the evo since july and i was deciding whether to root or not. Also I couldnt root my phone with 2.2 version
    ok i understand what root is and u been a big help to me. I already research and root my phone and thanks it only took 5 minutes! i need steps on how to create a nando
    nandroid backup

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    Like I said, they are two completely different things. Amon is not an app, it's a custom recovery. Use it for any flashing that you're going to do + nandroid backups. Titanium Backup is an app that backs up your all your apps and system settings.

The steps to a successful root are:
    1. research
    2. research
    3. RESEARCH
    4. root with Unrevoked 3.21
    5. backup apps/system settings with Titanium
    6. nandroid backup
    7. research
    8. flash whatever ROM you want (needs to be deodexed for a theme to work/be stable)
    9. restore apps/system data with Titanium

Unrevoked 3.2.1 will put Clockwork as your custom recovery. You can always switch to Amon RA after rooting. If you are going to switch, do your nandroid with Clockwork before you flash Amon just in case. After you flash Amon, do another nandroid just because you can't restore a Clockwork nandroid with Amon and vice versa.

Any further questions you might have I would recommend using google to find your answers. Not because I don't want to help you, because I do, but because the best way to learn is to do it yourself. Read as much as you can and really try to understand what it is you are doing BEFORE you try and root or flash any ROMs or themes.
    Not trying to hijack here.....
    Metal I have researched much and have not got an answer to my question. I have a new Evo with Andriod 2.2 and the 3.30 build/software. I would like to use the unrevoked method but I'm unclear whether that works with 3.30? From my research there is an hboot issue? Is that correct?

Thanks

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links