Unrevoked 3.3 - Any expeience yet?

This is a discussion on Unrevoked 3.3 - Any expeience yet? within the HTC EVO 4G Hacks forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; Sitting at work, and thinking its time to Root my phone. Im bored with the limitations after less than a month. Anyone have experience with ...

Thread: Unrevoked 3.3 - Any expeience yet?

Unrevoked 3.3 - Any expeience yet?

Sitting at work, and thinking its time to Root my phone. Im bored with the limitations after less than a month.

Anyone have experience with 3.3 yet? If I choose Unrevoked, I will have to use this version given my current software.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yep, works great.

I noticed, I did it about 10 min before I saw your reply!

So Im rooted, Ive done a backup with the stock Clockwork so I think Im good to go out and start flashing ROMS.

Now... what the hell does all that mean?

Anyway, the two reasons I rooted were:
    1. Free Tethering
    2. Getting rid of bloatware

So do I need to to custom kernels to do these things? I figure I might just do some research on the kernel you are running and do a lot more reading, but at least it seems the hard part is over, I have a fully rooted phone with the addition of Forever which is on the new Unrevoked version.

For the free tethering, download Wireless Tether for Root Users from the market. For deleting bloatware, the easiest way is to use Titanium Backup, just be sure to back up every app you delete just in case.

You shouldn't need a custom kernel, but I do recommend trying some out because they do provide performance and battery gains over the stock one.

The kernel I am running is for AOSP ROMs only and won't work with a Sense ROM. The ROM I use is called MIUI and is based off Android source code (AOSP) and has absolutely no Sprint or HTC software in it. It's lean, fast, gorgeous and my battery lasts up to two days with it The kernel in my sig is old, I haven't used it since november. I need to update my sig lol.
    EDIT: aaand it's updated!

For Sense ROMS, like if you want to keep the stock ROM, check out Netarchy's kernels here- [GPL][Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.3.1 Beta: 4.3.2 - xda-developers

So the tethering needs netfilter enabled kernel. Are Netarchy's so? So far if I need a new ROM Im looking into Fresh Evo 3.5.0.1 as it seems to look like Sense, which I do like for now. But I cant see if it has netfilter enabled either.

Any ideas?

Yeah, any custom kernel you find will be able to tether. Was that an error message that you got? It should work, people tether all the time with stock kernels.

As far as Fresh is concerned, I can definitely recommend it. Fresh was my go to Sense ROM before I moved to MIUI.

No error, it's on the info on the market page for the app. I will give fresh a try and report. Then I'll be trying Titanium to clean up what apps get left behind from the rom.

Thanks for the help!

So I did get tethering to work on stock rom, don't know why it insisted on custom one. Also got titanium, and think I've already messed up by backing up apps I wanted gone and then uninstalling them. Appears I don't know how to reload them from backup, if it's even possible. Nothing I need, just hoping I don't have a reason to restore them, but I suppose I can get them again.

Now I'm back to custom roms. Noticed that Fresh Evo said I would need to do a data wipe for first time. This doesn't mean I lose media on phone or card right?

hi can u root version 3.2 yet any luck

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links