Internal memory drain over time

This is a discussion on Internal memory drain over time within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; The first day I got the Evo I did the normal thing and loaded some stuff from the Market. After awhile the phone was SLLLLOOOOOOWWW.. ...

Thread: Internal memory drain over time

Internal memory drain over time

The first day I got the Evo I did the normal thing and loaded some stuff from the Market. After awhile the phone was SLLLLOOOOOOWWW.. I found that all the apps were still open so I got Taskiller from the market.. problem solved..

The next day I noticed that i was down to about 140 meg free internally, the last I had looked I thought I was around 204meg. I thought I had loaded to many apps so I removed almost everything I loaded to test things. I was only able to get back to about 174 meg free.

I rebooted the phone and suddenly after I was up to over 240meg free. So my big question is.. what was eating that extra 65 meg of internal memory??

I thought perhaps it was Taskiller so I removed it, and loaded Advanced Task Killer from the market. After a day of use I see that I am back to around 165 meg free. I always kill tasks after I leave them, and just went through all open tasks in the phones app.. AND with Advanced Task Killer.. they match and nothing seems to be open.

So my question again is.. what is constantly eating memory away? My sister is now reporting the same thing on her Hero.. so my gut is telling me its an Android thing.

Thoughts?

Ron

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It is my understanding that task killers are not good to use. Android handles memory different than windows, it makes room when it needs it. When I had my Hero I used to kill everything all the time, once I stopped doing that, it ran 10 times better. Now with my EVO I don't use a task manager at all and it runs beautifully. You can really screw up your phone if you use a task manager, especially if you use it all the time like you do.

Don't worry about how much RAM you have left, just leave it be and let android do its thing.

Ive been researching and this seems to be an interesting topic. I originally didnt use a task killer, but my phone slowed WAY down. It may have been from a number of things.. we shall see.

I have now uninstalled and will see how things run while letting Android do its thing.

Thanks for the input..

Ron

Member droidaddict_sprintdroids's Avatar
    So, is the consensus not to use app killer? the gal at the store suggested that I used this app to save battery juice. hmmm, please keep us posted after a few days with your phone not running the app killer, thanks!

Admin
    I use Advanced Task Killer all the time on my phone and sware by it.

So, is the consensus not to use app killer
    All the devs that I've talked to said to stay away from task killers.

there are quite a few programs that don't seem to quit properly - xscope used to be one of them and pandora on occasion. they suck battery while still running. even when selecting "quit" they still run sometimes.

until you have a option to quit apps properly i'll remain a firm task killer user.

Member droidaddict_sprintdroids's Avatar
    Over the weekend while using the phone to surf the web, I saw on the phone that I had 87MB of memory available. I figure that with being online so much that all the temp files are taking up all the memory? Do I need to wipe clean or will the system automatically clean it self? I need to look into this. Any word on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

MetalHeads suggestions are all good. I went through and performed several of them a few days ago while exploring the phone. I am now getting well over 24 hours between charges. I have not loaded an App Killer because of the confusion and with over 24 hours of battery time I have no issues

Sprint salesman told me about Advanced Task Killer. Sprint Tech told me not to use it. He said the phone will only run 6 apps at a time, and it automatically ends any apps over 6.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links