HTC EVO battery life

This is a discussion on HTC EVO battery life within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; tvat there is an app called Network that is just a shortcut to your hidden network settings menu. You can set the network to "CDMA ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HTC EVO battery life

tvat there is an app called Network that is just a shortcut to your hidden network settings menu. You can set the network to "CDMA only" from there. Scan this QR code with a barcode scanner and it will take you right to it in the market.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend JuiceDefender. It does wonders for battery life.

As always your help is much appreciated MH!

The past few days I have been having to charge in the middle of the day . a little more usage but not too much mostly just using the camera . I just installed JUICE DEFENDER , lets see if that helps .

I installed juice defender and didn't notice any help. There are several settings for it though and I don't know which ones to use? Any help would be great.

I think JuiceDefender only helps when your phone is idle, eg., overnight. If your apps are set to not sync very often, JD may make little difference. I personally don't see the need for it with how my phone is set up. I also think that the 3G radio is only turned on when needed by an app. On my phone, the icon is frequently not there, but appears when I do something data-related.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

I will just chime in since I just found this great forum, so thanks for being here, but you should try to get out on a few more forums so we can find ya easier!

Anyways, I was having the "6 hour battery" since I got my EVO on day one, and never really thought much of it as it was just a huge screen and small battery. So, we were out and about on the town in an area with GREAT signal, using 3G, on a weekend - so no business calls - and the battery was fading at a rate of about 15% an hour - still...

So I started investigating battery life on the Evo online when I got home and found a few settings that were 'standard' that I hadn't adjusted. Of course, this is not one of those 'turn off everything and your battery will last all day posts' but it does have a few good tips for saving your battery.

1) HTC Sense Widgets - There are some that will constantly update: Footprints, Friend Stream, Mail, Messages, News, Stocks, Twitter for Sense and Weather. The best bet is to turn off the auto-sync ( Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Press Application > Uncheck ) on any of them you don't use. If you use them they will automatically reload every time you visit the page they are on, even if they don't refresh the data automatically. Choose one or two of the auto-refresh widgets or try a home substitute screen and replace them with the more efficient (but way uglier) stock widgets.

2) Other 3rd Party Widgets - Even simple 'data' hungry widgets will destroy battery life by needing a connection. My "Days to Christmas Countdown" widget was using about 2% of the battery per hour of use - and it was always on. That's 1/2 of the battery on 24 hours of use.

3) Backlight - Bring the backlight down to as low as you are comfortable viewing - mine is about 20% usually, but I will turn it up if I go outside. Also, when you use the camera, the backlight automatically goes to 100% - so try to limit the amount of time you leave the screen on in camera mode. A great trick for this is to open the camera, then press the lock button. You simply hit it again and slide to unlock - and back to the camera screen it goes. Another good tip is to set the time-out to as short as possible. Mine is set at 15 seconds and only gets on my nerves when I am browsing the net and reading articles.

4) Email - Too many times I've read, check your poll times on email and set them as high as possible or to manual for the best battery life. Unfortunately, this just isn't true. More important than frequency of your checks is the amount you allow it to download per message. If someone sends you a 5MB file and you have it set to 'No Limit' you will burn a ton of battery just downloading that one attachment. If you set it to 25k or 100k, you will download the message and you can save the song/photo downloads for when you are on wifi or have your charger handy.

5) YouTube App - HQ YouTube is awesome, but pulling that much data is a killer on the processor and the radio. There was a reason that the app originally was set to download HQ videos on wifi - it's really bad for the battery. While the LQ videos aren't as nice, they do let you watch a ton more content on a single charge. Same goes for downloading movies, TV (since we have flash), or high stress websites (ESPN's full site vs. their mobile site)... Less data downloaded = a much better battery life.

6) 4G - I know, here we go... But seriously, 4G should only be used when you are tethering or plugged in to the wall. Think about it, nobody has ever pulled a WiMax connection without a power source attached to the device, and the poor little EVO's battery won't last long when doing it. If you are using 4G and the Hotspot App, you can still tether to charge off your computer (I know it's a bit redundant and really makes the 'wireless' part of the hotspot a bit useless, but you can still share that to other computers/devices) or you can have it plugged in with an AC or car adapter.

There are a million other ways to get more battery life out of your smartphone, but really these simple steps above have made me jump from a solid 6 hour battery life to a good 10-12 hours most days now.

I've noticed a considerable increase in battery life when i started using Launcher pro instead of htc sense. as in ive averaged 14-16hrs of battery life. i txt a ton..about 5-8k a month to give u an idea. and check fb often as well as take photos and such. i did almost all the settings changes that waazzupppp did when i first got my Evo. but if u can live with out the friend stream widget...which i dint think i could..but after not having it im fine. i just have a short cut created. ive averaged about 16hrs of battery usage and on a few occasions had 40% battery remaining. plus launcher pro allows for a ton more customization. might be another alternative. i have not carried my spare battery with me since ive gone with launcher pro...might even sell it with the charger...lol

Quote Originally Posted by b0bbY View Post
    I've noticed a considerable increase in battery life when i started using Launcher pro instead of htc sense. as in ive averaged 14-16hrs of battery life. i txt a ton..about 5-8k a month to give u an idea. and check fb often as well as take photos and such. i did almost all the settings changes that waazzupppp did when i first got my Evo. but if u can live with out the friend stream widget...which i dint think i could..but after not having it im fine. i just have a short cut created. ive averaged about 16hrs of battery usage and on a few occasions had 40% battery remaining. plus launcher pro allows for a ton more customization. might be another alternative. i have not carried my spare battery with me since ive gone with launcher pro...might even sell it with the charger...lol
    If I install launcher pro does htc sense automatically turn off?

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
    http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417

You can hit the home button the first time and it will ask you which app to launch - Sense or Launcher. Once you check the "Always do this Action" button, select Launcher and it will always do it for you. Sense is still loaded in the background, but isn't active - thus saving battery.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesusa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bbY View Post
    If I install launcher pro does htc sense automatically turn off?

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
    Stealth Guards
    when launcher pro is installed and u clear out to the home screen it will ask u use sense or launcher pro. check use as default..and then launcher pro....if u dont like launcher pro....just uninstall launcher pro and it goes back to sense. also launcher pro has some kewl 3D animations....that u can fool around with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links