Evo & 4G vs. 3G signal?

This is a discussion on Evo & 4G vs. 3G signal? within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; How can you tell if your Evo is picking up a 4G signal? A little 3G always appears at the top of my screen. I ...

Thread: Evo & 4G vs. 3G signal?

Evo & 4G vs. 3G signal?

How can you tell if your Evo is picking up a 4G signal? A little 3G always appears at the top of my screen. I asked a Sprint customer service rep and she said in my area, Tacoma, WA, I can get a 4G signal only inside a building. I asked her if that was because it would pickup a Wi-fi signal and she put me on terminal hold again so I hung-up. Can anybody enlighten me on this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Where available (and it is in Tacoma), 4G should be available most anyplace (it is certainly not limited to within buildings). In fact, typically you would expect the 4G signal to decrease inside a building.

There is a setting to turn 4G on or off. Not sure exactly how to get to it (still waiting for an EVO here in Seattle), but when it is on there should be an icon similar to the wifi icon but with an M at the bottom (see page 10 of the manual).

Make sure your 4G radio is on. Go to the home screen, then swipe to the right. You should load a screen with your favorites and all the radio widgets on it. If the 4G widget is not green, tap it. Once the 4G is on, your phone should find a signal and lock in. Then the 3G icon in the notification bar should change to 4G.

Alternately, go Home, then Menu -> Settings -> Wireless & networks -> 4G. Tap it to check the box and turn 4G on.

4G will work wherever there is a signal, whether it's inside or outside. WiFi will only work if you're within range of a WiFi network, such as your home wireless network, or a public hotspot. As with 4G, your WiFi radio has to be on to connect to a WiFi network.

Thank you very much. When the Sprint customer rep said it would only work in a building I knew I would have to turn to this forum for an answer that made sense.

One more thing in regards to 3g vs 4g. I live in Las Vegas where 4g is very clear and runs at peak levels but i live about 13 miles out of town. When my phone shows i have a 4g signal at my house my 3g is better so test your up and download speeds where you use your phone the most ie home, work and such. If your 3g reception is better your battery will love you much more to stay on 3g. The app i use to test my speed is speed test in the app store and its free. Food for thought

One more thing sculler i think you mentioned in a previous post that you were running both the HTC Incredible and the HTC EVO. Just curious how your comparison is going? Now that Verizon has the Droid x does that sway your opinion at all?

How about when you only have access to web thru 4g? I'm from Queens, and 4g is pretty good, its just that it consumes too much battery so I depend on 3g alone. The prob is I lost connection on 3g, how do I gain it back? It's to hassle to turn on and off 4g. Help pls..

Go to Menu -> Settings -> Wireless and Networks

Scroll down to "Mobile Network" Make sure it's checked. If it's stuck on "Connecting" try unchecking it and rechecking it. If that doesn't help, power the phone off and back on. When the Mobile Network item is checked and it says connected, you will have your 3G connection back.

My phone sometimes gets stuck also, coming off 4G or WiFi. Restarting the phone has always fixed it for me.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_c View Post
    Go to Menu -> Settings -> Wireless and Networks

Scroll down to "Mobile Network" Make sure it's checked. If it's stuck on "Connecting" try unchecking it and rechecking it. If that doesn't help, power the phone off and back on. When the Mobile Network item is checked and it says connected, you will have your 3G connection back.

My phone sometimes gets stuck also, coming off 4G or WiFi. Restarting the phone has always fixed it for me.
    Thanks! The 3g indicator did appear and is not stuck on connecting anymore, however, the arrows on the indicator still dont appear to be white or gray.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links