HTC Sense force close on startup...EVO won't start

This is a discussion on HTC Sense force close on startup...EVO won't start within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; Last night my battery died and I plugged in the charger when I got home. When I went to turn the phone on, it went ...

Thread: HTC Sense force close on startup...EVO won't start

Exclamation HTC Sense force close on startup...EVO won't start

Last night my battery died and I plugged in the charger when I got home. When I went to turn the phone on, it went through the normal startup process, and when I slid the unlock down, I got a pop up message: "Sorry! The application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force close]" I hit force close numerous times hoping it would start, and I got the same message.

I let the phone charge overnight, and this morning I turned the phone off and turned it on again, getting the same message at startup. I removed the battery, tried again..... same deal.

Any help?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Problem solved..... kind of.

PITA to do, but I managed to reset HTC Sense to factory.

After hitting "Force close" and while it was trying to reload Sense, I hit the search button a few times until the search function opened up. While hitting force close when it popped up again, I had to type in Settings and select that from the menu. Hitting the "menu" button on the bottom of the phone did nothing. From the settings screen, selected "Applications"-"Manage applications". Scrolled down to HTC Sense and selected it. Hit "Clear cache" and it gave me some crap about losing wallpaper and widgets (or something like that), hit OK, then hit "Clear defaults". Hit the Home button and..... VOILA! Back to factory.

Now I just gotta redo all of my pages. No idea what caused it since I hadn't done anything new with the phone (widgets, apps, etc.) for a while.

This phone can do some weird stuff when the battery dies. Mine got down to below 10% and after charging overnight, the next morning The mobile radio would not come on. i went to settings and it just said "Turning on..." and occasionally would flash the check mark and then return to the turning on state. Fortunately, a power off and back on fixed it.

HTC Sense stopped -- a solution that worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by archangel46 View Post
    Last night my battery died and I plugged in the charger when I got home. When I went to turn the phone on, it went through the normal startup process, and when I slid the unlock down, I got a pop up message: "Sorry! The application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force close]" I hit force close numerous times hoping it would start, and I got the same message.

I let the phone charge overnight, and this morning I turned the phone off and turned it on again, getting the same message at startup. I removed the battery, tried again..... same deal.

Any help?
    Like many other HTC Sense users, I got reports that HTC Sense had suddenly stopped and had to restart it, only to have the error occur again very shortly. On some days, without any discernible pattern, after a period of such errors, the system would settle down and work normally for the rest of the day. However, upon restarting the phone the next day, the error usually came back quickly. Some days it never settled down. I just got accustomed to having to restart HTC Sense every time I moved from one application to another.

I never did discover exactly what was causing the error. I tried, without success, some "solutions" which had been posted, such as removing certain widgets reputed to cause trouble (such as Battery Indicator) or removing and reinserting the HD card. None of these "solutions" changed the behavior at all. I use the SystemPanel app and tried to identify what was causing the error by looking at its reports. All I found was that shortly after restarting HTC Sense, the CPU usage would jump to nearly 100%, waver a few seconds, and then go to 100%, at which point HTC Sense stopped and the CPU usage dropped back to 25% or less. It appeared that HTC Sense was going into some kind of a loop that it couldn't get out of. Maybe too many apps on the screens. Maybe some rogue app. Impossible to know.

Most answers about this error recommend resetting the phone to factory defaults, a drastic measure but one which would probably work. However, clearing all the data from HTC Sense may solve the problem and preserve all information except the customized screens.

The following procedure cleared up the problem for me, at least for the moment. I may have to repeat the procedure some day if I customize my home screens too much.

I found this solution at Solutions - HTC Sense launcher error (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly - Android Forums

Solution 2 - Went to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > HTC Sense >
    Clear Data. When I pressed Clear Data it gave me a message "All of this
    application's data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files,
    settings, accounts, databases and so on."I was hoping it wouldn't clean my
    entire phone like factory reset but when I clicked "OK" all I saw was it reset
    the HTC Sense's 7 screens(which I can deal with). All the data, SMS, Phone
    numbers, Accounts, Apps, etc. everything is intact... Phew!

ARCHANGEL46 , YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!
    I just now followed your comment step by step and finally got my Evo's HTC Sense back to working with perfection. I was here trying everything then I googled it and found your comment. lol Thanks a lot!

Similar, but worse on my EVO

I've been having similar issues, except it was Android system services that kept popping up the message boxes. They were coming up every second, so navigating to the factory reset was "challenging". The reset fixed everything up, but of course now I'm resynching and downloading all my contacts, email, apps, etc. Not sure what caused the issues, but I notice that the update to 2.3.3 occurred around this time. A coincidence? I don't know of any other changes during this period. Started off with messages about low memory, then apps that would not stay deleted (when I tried to delete them to address low memory). What a mess!
    Hopefully everything is going to be OK now, but I'm going to be more diligent in backing up my information in case I need to do this again.

Have Fun!
    Ron

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links