Please help phone keeps restarting

This is a discussion on Please help phone keeps restarting within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; I waited in line 06/04 to get the very first shipments of this phone. I love it! Way better then my piece of crap Instinct ...

Thread: Please help phone keeps restarting

Please help phone keeps restarting

I waited in line 06/04 to get the very first shipments of this phone. I love it! Way better then my piece of crap Instinct I had for 2 years. But here are my only flaws with the phone..... It restarts buy itself at least once a day and sometimes more. I will be having a conversation and blam it retarts I here the start tone. Sometimes I get a white screen with green letters "HTC". It comes back eventually but for 2 minutes my phone has a black screen and is frozen. I am trying to talk all my buddies into getting this phone but this restarting has to stop.

My last fault so far with this phone, I can not tap my bluetooth headset to initiate hands free dialing. I hit the button in my car for the integrated bluetooth in the car it works no problem. But when I am in my truck that doesnt have bluetooth I have a Blue Eagle headset. I hit the button and nothing happens.

Can these problems be fixed? I had app killer on the phone but read it was bad and uninstalled it. Thought that might fix the problems, Hoped the update would fix my problems. But it didnt.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I dont know if I can help, I was in a really bad area earlier in the week and my phone would restart or powercycle by itself. I haven't noticed it doing it since I got back to Long Beach. I don't know if it is a signal issue, it shouldn't be.
    The bluetooth headset issue, android doesn't support voicedial through the headset......up to adroid 2.1 anyway. The phone does, just not through the headset. I used to use voicedial a lot on my other phones and really missed it when I got my first android. What I have read, and the administrators I am sure know more than I do, is that android 2.2 will be the first version to support it. I am trying to patiently wait for that one to be available. It is supposed to speed the opperation of the phone as well.
    I am no tech, but I hope this helps a little. Have a great 4th.

Well Ive experienced Phone restarts just this past weekend. I've got a feeling the phone is restarting because of a low signal. I realized this running youtube videos on the phone. I was laying down in a room in my aptmnt where the signal dropped to about 2 bars and fluctuates between 0 or 3 bars constantly. It maybe the phone is going insane just trying to pull a decent data connection in and just restarts. Now I end up going to work this past monday where signal is strong and full bars present and i ran youtube vides nonstop and did not experience this wonky restart. Weird but no big issue as long as this doesnt happen constantly.

Most of the time in this area, rural North Texas, I have a good sprint signal but there are some known cell phone dead zones and if the phone is on sprint only, it will restart, if I switch to automatic roaming, then it doesn't. Probably if I stayed in one place it would be OK to stay on Sprint. The battery is no worst than my blackberry curve who I always had to plug in during the day. Actually every cell phone I have had, always been concious of the battery because I get calls all hours of day and night for emergencies.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by norrisreber View Post
    I dont know if I can help, I was in a really bad area earlier in the week and my phone would restart or powercycle by itself. I haven't noticed it doing it since I got back to Long Beach. I don't know if it is a signal issue, it shouldn't be.
    The bluetooth headset issue, android doesn't support voicedial through the headset......up to adroid 2.1 anyway. The phone does, just not through the headset. I used to use voicedial a lot on my other phones and really missed it when I got my first android. What I have read, and the administrators I am sure know more than I do, is that android 2.2 will be the first version to support it. I am trying to patiently wait for that one to be available. It is supposed to speed the opperation of the phone as well.
    I am no tech, but I hope this helps a little. Have a great 4th.
    there are folks on droidforums.net (sister site) running foryo and have bluetooth voice dial working. it doesn't work for everyone or on all devices, but it is for some. having said that, froyo has not been pushed to the droid yet, so these are all custom ROMs that people are running. so will it be supported in the OTA push? dunno, but froyo will do it (just maybe not stock).

I've heard of two different things causing random restarts on unrooted phones. The first one is the memory card/battery not being seated good. This was also reported by atleast one other person after they replaced the stock memory card with a newer larger one.

The second one is a bad phone. Although I'm not ruling out that a weak signal might be the trigger for your phone to cycle, it cannot be the cause, as I work in a place where I constantly lose signal and I'm not seeing this.

Lastly, if you've rooted your phone, or installed custom software, I would suspect these. I've heard of a great many people having issues after flashing certain custom roms. If your phone is stock, I would take it in to have it looked at, as this is not normal.

Mine was doing the same thing. Take out the battery and sit it on the ground. Run three circles around the battery and reinstall. Presto works fine lol

Quote Originally Posted by jak89 View Post
    Mine was doing the same thing. Take out the battery and sit it on the ground. Run three circles around the battery and reinstall. Presto works fine lol
    Run???? Damn, I thought it was skip!

ive done the battery removal thing, but it still keeps doing it. Its become an everyday thing now. After running 3- 8 youtube videos continuously the phone gives out and does a reset. Its perplexing to me. I guess Im gonna have to send emails to HTC

Ads