Looking for input on tethering EVO...

This is a discussion on Looking for input on tethering EVO... within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; Hey Rich, cool info. Just wondering how are speeds when your sharing?...

View Poll Results: Pls answer EVO tethering Qs....

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • WiFi is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • Bluetooth is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • USB is best method of tethering an EVO.

7 77.78%
  • It is best to Root EVO for tethering.

2 22.22%
  • It is NOT best to Root EVO for tethering.

0 0%
  • Any other issue(s)/concern(s) to address first?

0 0%
  • Have any words of wisdom on this subject? Please post here.

0 0%
  • Other comments on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Other Observations on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Have any good, bad or horror tethering EVO stories? Please post here.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on tethering EVO...

Hey Rich, cool info. Just wondering how are speeds when your sharing?

Haven't done a speed test yet. However I did notice that pages on my laptop loaded faster than on the phone. So the phone itself is somewhat of a bottleneck, even in 3G.

[EDIT]
    Speakeasy Speedtest results:

Down: 0.88 Mbps
    Up: 0.57 Mbps

Down 1.11 Mbps
    Up: 0.52 Mbps

Down 0.73 Mbps
    Up: 0.28 Mbps

You can tell the service is bursted; ie., it will run slow, then fast, then slow. My cable speed tests are pretty constant throughout the download/upload cycle.

That was on the laptop. Now on the EVO for comparison (YES we can run the Speakeasy tests because we NOW have FLASH 10.1 BWAAAHAHAHA eat your heart out iPhone users.)

Down: 1.20 Mbps
    Up: 0.20 Mbps

Down: 1.15 Mbps
    Up: 0.45 Mbps

Down: 1.22 Mbps
    Up: 0.35 Mbps

It seems that based on the average of 3 tests, there is a bottleneck on download across the USB connection. It shouldn't be the USB itself, which is 480 Mbps or something like that. Statistically the upload speed doesn't seem to be affected by the connection

I'm using the latest EasyTether. I would be curious to see the results of the same tests performed with PDANet.

Computer side tests were run on Firefox on Windows 7 64 bit. I used the Dallas server on Speakeasy (I just always use Dallas as that's where our servers are located.)

Phone side tests were run on the stock Android browser, with Android 2.2 (the .6 update.)

Obviously the connection was 3G.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

Talking USB works best, but.....

I agree whole heartedly with the tethering point. My point in up-selling the wi-fi option (through rooting, of course. Who wants to pay thirty on top of ten) is for non-usb devices.

Case in point, I have an iPad (crucify me, I don't care. I use it for college). I thought that the college would have a strong enough wi-fi signal to use in my classroom(s). This was an epic fail. If I could have used wireless tethering via my (at that time) Moto Droid, I could have saved myself 100 or more dollars in text book costs per class. This is just on example of wi-fi advantages. If your driving down the road for a business meeting, your vehicle can become a hotspot with encryption capabilities.

Lastly, the Feds are saying that we can legally root our phones, and there is software for the adventurous. I ask you, why do Nexus 1 users get all the cool software that we are shielded from? I say, take control of your device and say "I'm not paying any more than I have too."

No need to crucify anyone Marx. Your point is valid. The point of this thread is just to compare the differences and of course give your opinion on your fav.

As far as the ipad i think it could be very useful in some situations, light weight, compact, and many computer functions.

I really think we're all on the same boat with about only paying what we have to lol. The Nexus One was kinda Googles flagship android so it stands to reason that they would push updates faster and allow users more freedom. That being said i'd still choose my Evo

I agree, I love my evo as well. I kinda hope that HTC keeps the design and pushes another down-range, the way MOTO has kept the original design of the Droid to make the Droid 2. That would mean that accessories made for the original device could port into the new one! The evo is not the most powerful on the market anymore, but dang if it isn't the sexiest device out there still.

While i think that many of the software features that Sprint provides OTB are great, I also believe that it is important for choice. Not giving me that choice to have them installed (by going to the sprint tab in the market instead of preloaded) clutters my internal ram with software I really don't want.

Sorry, I started rambling form my soap-box again. The update push is not so much that the Nexus was the Google giant (at that time), but more so that the service provider did not muck up the software. For example, Nexus 1 had Froyo in early July I think it was? It took Sprint and HTC until August 3 for our release and Verizon is still dropping the ball on their Droid X model (though I think that Droid 1 has it now). My point is that the user freedom is based entirely around the signal providers wants. I hope that everyone roots/unlocks their phones eventually. This would (hopefully) push providers into giving users more freedoms in the long run, as it shows "what Big Daddy won't provide inherently, those that can, and will, take.

What do you think?

Tethering

I have an Evo 4G and tether all the time using a USB cable since it charges as well. Using Blue tooth would really drain the battery. I use PdaNET, there is a free version, but you can buy it for around $25. Sets up the Evo as a modem. I use 4G hooked to my laptop and have gotten >4Mb/s download speed on my laptop. Check the Marketplace. Even have downloaded >600MB before (Windows SP). Just be darn sure you have unlimited data. Cool seeing >700MB data usage on my Sprint account. Oh, posting this from my laptop tethered to my Evo

PDANet speeds

Just did a test tethered to my Laptop using a USB cable. Running Windows 7, 32bit, tested both 3G and 4G using the site Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

3G
    Download: 1.21 Mbps
    Upload: .48Mbps

4G
    Download: 4.67 Mbps
    Upload: .94Mbps

Totally rocks.

SeaTech, I'm with you on pdanet. Been using it since Evo release and for me its the best app i have.

I had the Pre - switched to the EVO and am now trying to get Easytether to work. Encountering an error message that says it's having difficulty installing the driver for the phone (ADB?) I don't think that I need that driver to make it work. Additionally, when I try to connect the tether to the laptop it doesn't register as connected. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ibclm21 View Post
    I had the Pre - switched to the EVO and am now trying to get Easytether to work. Encountering an error message that says it's having difficulty installing the driver for the phone (ADB?) I don't think that I need that driver to make it work. Additionally, when I try to connect the tether to the laptop it doesn't register as connected. Help!
    Do you have HTC sync installed? It needs to be installed along with the pc driver for easytether.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links