Looking for input on tethering EVO...

This is a discussion on Looking for input on tethering EVO... within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; MH - thanks for the response. I'm beginning to get really frustrated with this phone... I installed the HTC Sync on my PC. Now when ...

View Poll Results: Pls answer EVO tethering Qs....

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • WiFi is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • Bluetooth is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • USB is best method of tethering an EVO.

7 77.78%
  • It is best to Root EVO for tethering.

2 22.22%
  • It is NOT best to Root EVO for tethering.

0 0%
  • Any other issue(s)/concern(s) to address first?

0 0%
  • Have any words of wisdom on this subject? Please post here.

0 0%
  • Other comments on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Other Observations on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Have any good, bad or horror tethering EVO stories? Please post here.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for input on tethering EVO...

MH - thanks for the response. I'm beginning to get really frustrated with this phone...

I installed the HTC Sync on my PC. Now when I connect the phone and attempt to get the tether working it says that I need to enable the USB tether option (it already was enabled). What gives?

Edit: OK got it figured out. It took a while, but I'm now posting from my EVO! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! and, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! on Sprint for wanting to charge $30/month for something that should be a feature at no additional cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ibc you did load Easytether on both your phone and your computer correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ibclm21 View Post
    MH - thanks for the response. I'm beginning to get really frustrated with this phone...

I installed the HTC Sync on my PC. Now when I connect the phone and attempt to get the tether working it says that I need to enable the USB tether option (it already was enabled). What gives?

Edit: OK got it figured out. It took a while, but I'm now posting from my EVO! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! and, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! on Sprint for wanting to charge $30/month for something that should be a feature at no additional cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Glad you got it figured out. EasyTether is awesome and extremely convenient.

Rich_c, easytether is great, simple to use and easy to set up on your laptop.
    I'm interested to know how your second laptop connected to the network you set up. Was it wireless off the first computer, Bluetooth, USB?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaTech View Post
    I have an Evo 4G and tether all the time using a USB cable since it charges as well. Using Blue tooth would really drain the battery. I use PdaNET, there is a free version, but you can buy it for around $25. Sets up the Evo as a modem. I use 4G hooked to my laptop and have gotten >4Mb/s download speed on my laptop. Check the Marketplace. Even have downloaded >600MB before (Windows SP). Just be darn sure you have unlimited data. Cool seeing >700MB data usage on my Sprint account. Oh, posting this from my laptop tethered to my Evo
    I use pdaNET as well, I just got it about a week ago, it's currently 'on sale' for $15. I love it, the speeds are pretty fast, I've got no complaints.

Just root you're phone and you can use free wifi tether. It works just like the hotspot that sprint charges for. Pdanet will work fine but some people say it slows down the speed compared to other tethering programs. I guess you can just try different programs and see which works better. I myself also use easy tether pro since it can tether to an xbox or ps3 and seems to be faster than pdanet, not to mention cheaper.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
    http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417

+1 for rooting. I am running the MIUI rom that has native wifi tethering and I use it on a daily basis. I tether my wifi only iPad and with only 3G my downloads are almost double what my friend's 3G iPad can do.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    +1 for rooting. I am running the MIUI rom that has native wifi tethering and I use it on a daily basis. I tether my wifi only iPad and with only 3G my downloads are almost double what my friend's 3G iPad can do.
    Great point. I would also get a wifi only ipad to tether but rumor is they are releasing ipad 2 in february. But that is a good reason to root. So you don't have to pay extra on something you already pay for.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links