Looking for input on tethering EVO...

This is a discussion on Looking for input on tethering EVO... within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; Qs I have are: What is the best method of tethering an EVO? Root or NOT to Root? Which is best WiFi, Bluetooth or USB? ...

View Poll Results: Pls answer EVO tethering Qs....

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • WiFi is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • Bluetooth is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • USB is best method of tethering an EVO.

7 77.78%
  • It is best to Root EVO for tethering.

2 22.22%
  • It is NOT best to Root EVO for tethering.

0 0%
  • Any other issue(s)/concern(s) to address first?

0 0%
  • Have any words of wisdom on this subject? Please post here.

0 0%
  • Other comments on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Other Observations on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Have any good, bad or horror tethering EVO stories? Please post here.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on tethering EVO...

Looking for input on tethering EVO...

Qs I have are:
    • What is the best method of tethering an EVO?
    • Root or NOT to Root?
    • Which is best WiFi, Bluetooth or USB?
    • Have any words of wisdom on this subject? Please post here.
    • Have any good, bad or horror tethering EVO stories? Please post here.
    PS: What are trackbacks?

I have attached the EVO tethering research I have do so far...
    lease take poll.

CharO

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I just got off the phone with sprint advanced tech support, who just told me that the evo is not and will not be a tether-able device. This is odd, as all the software is in place to do so, but I will say that I have been tethering since my Verizon days. In the Android market place, there is a program called pdaNet. It does have a one time fee (I think that it's ten bucks). I can attest to its working quality. There is also Easytether Lite that is free, but I am a mac user and it is not for us, as there is no doggy heaven .

Wi-Fi is your most versatile option, but USB is defiantly the fastest. Bluetooth is ok, but bottlenecks the overall speed. bluetooth is a "last resort" option.

I want to root my phone myself. I was reading the news, and of all organizations, the library of congress has taken our side, declaring that

"Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset."

The full article is on droid-life.com, a Verizon friendly site. It's worth reading though.

Lastly, the Track-ball. Remember the Droid Eris? No? Ok, the ball on the Nexus1. That is a track ball. It is the same thing that Blackberry has been using for years. I cannot comment to its effectiveness, but will say that it's made its way to a few android units. I don't think it's good or bad, just another novel addition.

I hope that this answers some of your questions, and any future word on rooting 2.2 would be great! Have a good one.

Check out How to tether your HTC EVO 4G -- for free - Computerworld Blogs. There are also suggestions in the comments.

I haven't done this but probably will soon.

MWR:

Hi and thanks for the observations...
    "Wi-Fi is your most versatile option, but USB is defiantly the fastest. Bluetooth is ok, but bottlenecks the overall speed. bluetooth is a "last resort" option."

I think I am tending towards the USB since it is not all that much a bother to use the USB cord and you did say it was the fastest method of transfering data.

I am still out on weither to root or not to root and would appreciate more input, feedback or observations on this aspect.

CharO

You do not need to root in order to tether. I am using Easy Tether USB and it worked properly on the previous software release, and it continues to work properly on Froyo, on my EVO. I tether very infrequently (perhaps a half dozen times a year), so am not inclined to pay $30 a month for the hot spot capability. This solution serves my purposes nicely.

tether phone

just set up and tethered my phone with my mac, went well after a few trysDo I need to turn off my airport to use or will the phone search for the avalable network either wireless at home or tether?
    nancy

Well my vote is for usb just because its the most simple way. Pdanet and Easytether both have a free trial then you pay a one time fee of 18$ for pdanet and 10$ for Easytether.

FYI I talked to Sprint and they will connect and disconnect the hotspot feature at will...you don't have to permanently add it to your contract. I imagine you have to pay for whole months; I didn't ask because I just assumed they wouldn't prorate it.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

I'm with Jak on USB. I use EasyTether and it works beautifully.

Yeah I got EasyTether last night for our trip. I was able tether my laptop with the USB, and set up an ad hoc network to connect the other laptop. All you have to do is share the EasyTether connection on the host machine, and anyone who can connect to your ad hoc network can get on line.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links