Odd cable

This is a discussion on Odd cable within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; I've got a micro USB cable that enables me to charge my EVO . . . and that's all! Even if I selected a different ...

Thread: Odd cable

Exclamation Odd cable

I've got a micro USB cable that enables me to charge my EVO . . . and that's all! Even if I selected a different default function, when I connect to my computer I don't get the option to choose another function--it's just starts charging.

I'm not looking for a fix because I've got other cables that behave as expected, but I just think it's interesting. I can't remember where I got this cable but I wonder whether I missed something in the description.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You may have "Ask me" unchecked under Menu -> Settings -> Connect to PC. There you can check the box to have it prompt you each time you connect the cable. You can also select a default connection type.

When you plug in your phone, a menu should appear. It may not get past the unlock screen so make sure your EVO is unlocked when you connect. You should then have the option of charge only, disk drive, and HTC Sync.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

My other cables work as expected. As I said, it doesn't matter what default function I selected; as well, I have 'Ask me' checked. This odd situation happens only with that one cable on my laptop and my desktop. With any other cable there's no problem on either computer.

The cable may very well be defective. If it's the one that came with your phone, you should be able to get a replacement.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

There are micro USB cables that are designed/intended for charging only (do not have the other connections in them). If you have one of those, it would behave as you are experiencing.

Its not a standard cable, or atleast not one designed for the EVO. I have one from my old Palm, that works for connection to computer, but not for fast charging. Just the opposite of yours, go figure.

I didn't know there were 'charging only' cables out there. Live and learn, live and learn.

greybear i like your white EVO. I bought (what I learned was...) a "charging only" cable. Learned, when I read the short guide that was sealed inside the plastic retail packaging. Mine also goes strait to charge, with no popup asking me what I want to do. I get a EVO connection "icon" in my notification bar when I plug in (to charge). SURPRISE, when I pulled down the notification it gives me the option to change to all the standard Connect to PC options; when I selected "Disk drive"...it worked. And now, whenever I plug in the same "Charge Only" cable, it asks me what I want to do.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links