No Sound Through Speaker, Earphones Work Fine

This is a discussion on No Sound Through Speaker, Earphones Work Fine within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; I am having an issue where (seemingly randomly) my phone speaker stops working. I can't hear any of my ringtones when called, or music when ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By woodslink
  • 1 Post By woodslink
  • 1 Post By bclaff

Thread: No Sound Through Speaker, Earphones Work Fine

No Sound Through Speaker, Earphones Work Fine

I am having an issue where (seemingly randomly) my phone speaker stops working. I can't hear any of my ringtones when called, or music when I go to play it. If I plug in headphones, I hear everything perfectly fine. I unplug them and I've got no sound again. I've spent some time plugging in and unplugging headphones, and perhaps it is just coincidence, but 2 times that seems to have restored sound to the speaker.

I just got my EVO a few days ago, so maybe I'm just doing something that I'm not aware of. But I have had this happen 3 times so far. My sister got an EVO at the same time and hasn't had any problems.

The first time it happened, I restored to factory settings and that did not resolve the problem. This leads me to believe it is a hardware issue, where the phone is acting like I have headphones plugged in when I do not. However, the status icon for the headphones is disappearing after I unplug them, albeit somewhat sluggishly.

Anyone else run into this or have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

If you just got it and your having that kind of issue i would return to the place of purchase to have it fixed or a new one given its within your 30 days
    Build: Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0 By Flipz
    Kernel Version: King-havs-OcUverik@Ubuntu#9
    Phone: Htc Evo 4g Proud owner 6/4/10
    Over Clocked to 1.2ghz
    ADW.Launcher
    ClockworkMod Recovery
    Unrevoked 3.2
    You i balling me or you just like my Evo

What Jak said. If sometimes unplugging a headphone brings the sound back, it is likely that the headphone jack is defective. There is a switch in it that turns off the speaker when anything is plugged in there. If this switch is intermittent it will cause the problems you are having. Take the phone back and get it fixed or get a new one. And don't settle for a "contact cleaning." Get the jack or the phone replaced.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

Thanks for your help guys. I took it into Sprint yesterday and they spent about 40 minutes checking it out. The tech said he cleaned out the headphone jack and everything seems to be working fine now, but to take it back if the problem returns. So far so good!

so did i.
    I am just so damned frustrated with the whole process that I ordered and paid for replacement loud speakers several times... 4 months.... 4 loud speakers... and I also took it to Sprint and they spent about 40 minutes checking it out. Then the tech told me that the key bug was too much apps run on the phone…
    So weird and so frustrated! The hardware should exceed the capabilities of anything the end-user could put it through, shouldn’t it?
    So, I did a statistic work on several forums and found a noticeable amount of complaints about the evo 4g loud speaker. Generally, this occurs when the phone is ringing (when calling someone) and when people are talking during the call. It is most likely to happen when the volume is set over 50 %( even only over 30 %) of the maximum volume…
    I was wondering if this is a hardware problem rather than a software problem. So I ordered an evo 4g speaker replacement from a cellular phone parts supplier named GlobalDirectParts ( you must be heard of these guys. They are really so hot recently for leaking out iPhone 5 parts). Their techs also provide me the following information and possible causes for the frustrating evo 4g speaker bugs:
    1. Might be the quality problem of the evo 4g speaker
    2. The inherent problem with the evo 4g motherboard. When the current frequency exceeds the limit that the motherboard could stand, the loud speaker will get wrong. For example, there may be no sound or noisy sound from the speaker.
    3. The third possibility may be a universal one with many HTC handsets: too many static. The more times you use the handset, the more static will be caused, thus more noise from the speakers
    After explaining the three possible causes, the GlobalDirectParts guys highly recommended the following way to reduce the static: insert a small piece of wire to the earphone jack, and hold the other end of the wire in one of your hand, and at the same time, put the other hand against the wall. In this way, the static can be eliminated.
    But if your evo 4g has any quality problem, you may have to replace the loud speaker.

see this thread

HTC Evo 4G:speaker blown--ways to kill the eov 4g speaker problem - xda-developers
    with photes and details

Try Wired Headphone Routing Fix

Wired Headphone Routing Fix

There is an issue with a lot of Android devices where the OS thinks the headphone is being plugged in and unplugged on its own.

I have rooted 4.0.4 AOKP and it still occured.

Try this FREE application (no ads) to resolve it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...honeroutingfix
    bclaff likes this.

hardware issue

If you were having issues just after getting then yes I would take it back. But if you have had it for a while, I may have an idea as to why it is doing this. On the inside of the phone, there are spring board contacts that the speaker has which make contact with the pcb. If those contacts have been pushed down by a drop or impact, it could cause them to stop working. There is a way to fix it of you feel like opening up the phone. I just replaced the entire housing and front glass on mine as it fell face down and cracked the glass. Anyone can email me at amendment2@gmail.com if you have any further questions.

Nolan

I would return if need be but if more than 30 days then add insurance and get it exchanged

Try an app named SoundAbout. It will do the trick.
    bclaff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woodslink View Post
    Try an app named SoundAbout. It will do the trick.
    It worked! Thanks.
    woodslink likes this.

Ads