The camera on the EVO...

This is a discussion on The camera on the EVO... within the HTC EVO 4G Tech Support forums, part of the HTC EVO 4G category; quite frankly...sucks. You can coo about 8 megapixels all you want, but there are other things that make up a good camera, and the EVO ...

Thread: The camera on the EVO...

The camera on the EVO...

quite frankly...sucks.

You can coo about 8 megapixels all you want, but there are other things that make up a good camera, and the EVO has none of them.

The CCD (or I suspect CMOS) array is slow and noisy. It only takes passable pictures in very good light. In any other light conditions, the pics are very grainy. And if you zoom in, it gets worse.

The autofocus sucks also. Half the pictures you take are out of focus. In less than ideal conditions, that number shoots up to about 80%. It will focus on foreground objects, even though they are outside the 'focus box', leaving the subject of your picture out of focus.

All you have to do is turn the phone around and take a look at the lens to realize that there is no way in hell that it can take a decent picture. I know it's just a phone, but it's truly misleading advertising to say "it has an 8 mpx camera" when it can't take a picture that compares with a lot of 3 mpx cameras out there.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It's not really fair to compare it to an actual camera, because it's a phone first and the camera in it is just a feature. I do agree though on the picture quality. I have found that it takes more than decent pictures in good light and with a steady hand, but in any less than ideal conditions it struggles. It is still the best camera in a cell phone that I have ever used so I'm not complaining at all.

Same here, best cellphone camera i have ever had but not the best camera by no means
    Build: Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0 By Flipz
    Kernel Version: King-havs-OcUverik@Ubuntu#9
    Phone: Htc Evo 4g Proud owner 6/4/10
    Over Clocked to 1.2ghz
    ADW.Launcher
    ClockworkMod Recovery
    Unrevoked 3.2
    You i balling me or you just like my Evo

For starters, why don't any of the phone companies cover the lens anymore. I remember one of my smartphones from years ago had a slide cover like on a camera that slid to cover or expose the lens. This kept it relatively clean and scratch free.

The real need for the EVO camera is better software with more settings and a separate camera button on the side. Depress the button halfway, you get focus, all the way snaps the photo.

First off, 8MP is only the image size - concerned about noise - have you turned down the resolution to 3MP? Much sharper images when you aren't pushing the sensor to the limits. A few other settings can make a huge difference in the quality you get.

White Balance - Auto (default) works ok, but if you have time to compensate for the actual lighting, your image will be much better.

ISO - 100 or 200 work best for eliminating noise, but will darken the ambient light in the image (which is why outdoor bright shots look good and indoor/dark shots look noisy.) By using 100/200 with the flash, you'll get some nicer indoor images.

Resolution - Try dropping to a 5MP image instead of the 8MP. Really, nobody is going to print anything more than a 5x7 (probably mostly online sharing though) from their camera phone. 8MP is just too much for the poor chipset to process well.

Metering Mode - Average on good light - Spot on dark images.

Auto Focus - On

And the most important tip I can give you for the EVO in particular for darker shots - set the self timer for 2 seconds. This gives you a brief moment to press the screen and reset the device in your hand before it snaps that blurry, noisy image.

Also, there are about a hundred camera apps in the Market. I've played with quite a few of them, so I listed a few of my favorites are below.

1) Camera Pro 360 has some amazing settings and options. As a photographer, I can appreciate the functionality of this app. It even incorporates a 'infinity' focus mode that the stock program somehow missed.

2) Vignette is another great program with some creativity options and a much lower noise compression software built in. Far from perfect again, but getting better than the stock program.

3) Camera Zoom FX is a bit slower to react than the stock camera, but has packs you can add on for more effects and options.

Hopefully either the tips or another app will help you have a bit more fun with your Evo's Camera.

very helpful info, thanks!

My EVO will not close focus on any object closer than about 4 feet if there is any other background. This does suck. I've read about this in other forums as well. I've tried everything. It keeps focusing on the background. When you turn off auto focus and try to focus manually all you get is the zoom bar, no way to manual focus so why even have the option to turn off auto focus?

What you are looking for in that 'close up' feature is called Macro Mode. Unfortunately, the Evo doesn't like to focus on anything under 6" or so. What you might find that will help 'selective focusing' for individual items is selecting Spot for metering instead of Average.

Overall, if that doesn't work, there are 3rd party apps in the Market for a few bucks that do some excellent work.

waazzupp, some VERY helful info re camara settings. My biggest complaint is that the dual flash is too damned bright. Any apps that control the flash brightness?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links