Getting Text Messages Into PC.

This is a discussion on Getting Text Messages Into PC. within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; I have the HTC EVO 4G, which contains nearly 50 text messages of a conversation with a home improvement contractor, that I may indeed have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Text Messages Into PC.

Getting Text Messages Into PC.

I have the HTC EVO 4G, which contains nearly 50 text messages of a conversation with a home improvement contractor, that I may indeed have to take to court. I have a habit of frequently clearing out call histories - as well as text messages that had already been given attention to. But I fear for, inadvertently, doing the same for the concerned ones.

I have read that such messages could be saved on one's computer, via HTC Sync, but I have not been able to even FIND them in this manner. Could someone please help me with this? It is so VITALLY important.

Nathan

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Are you using the stock sms app or a third party app? I use GoSMS and it has a ton of great options....one being the ability to save messages to your SD card.

(It's free on the Market btw)

Tapatalker!

Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    Are you using the stock sms app or a third party app? I use GoSMS and it has a ton of great options....one being the ability to save messages to your SD card.

(It's free on the Market btw)

Tapatalker!
    Using GoSMS Pro, and can't find anything about how to save messages. I have gone through all of the menu settings, yet could find nothing to help me with what I need. Saving attachments to a folder was the only thing that came even close. I called myself doing THAT, but failed to find any such folder on my phone when I did a USB hookup to my pc (HTC Sync).
    Last edited by NLAlston; 06-05-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Thats what I'm using as well. With the app open, long press on the thread/message you want to save and a menu will pop up. Scroll down to "backup thread" then hit "confirm" to save it to your SD card. Remember or write down the folder its being saved to. Viola, good to go!

Tapatalker!
    (You won't find it in the menu settings....just long press on the thread you want saved and then follow the instructions I posted above. Let me know how that works for you.)
    Last edited by CR6; 06-05-2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: update

Thats what I'm using as well. With the app open, long press on the thread/message you want to save and a menu will pop up. Scroll down to "backup thread" then hit "confirm" to save it to your SD card. Remember or write down the folder its being saved to. Viola, good to go!

Tapatalker!
    (You won't find it in the menu settings....just long press on the thread you want saved and then follow the instructions I posted above. Let me know how that works for you.)
    Hey Pal,

Forgive me for not getting back here sooner. I have just been so busy handling other matters. I also appreciate your extra effort, extended, by the PM that you sent. I am answering here, because I oftentimes miss out on seeing notification of my PM's (I know I have to get better about that, though ).

I did follow your directions, and found that it did indeed work. Just as you'd stated, the file was saved to my SD card. However, I experienced a problem in trying to open it. It is a DAT file, and I (apparently) have no program on my pc by which to do so. Just a moment ago, I did download the FreeFileViewer program - which DID open the DAT file up - but it made for very difficult reading of the messages. Also, there didn't seem to be any notification of the date/Time stamping of the respective messages. I have Word, as well Microsoft Works on my pc, and had thought that at least one of them might be capable enough to handle the task. But that wasn't to be.

I also had to uninstall HTC Sync from my pc, as it was causing my system to 'hard-lock' - whenever I'd tether my phone to it. It wasn't always immediate, but it would happen every single time. Since uninstalling HTC Sync, I've not experienced another such headache. I do, however, think that it might have been due to my not following its installation instructions to the letter. There was an advisory to disable any anti-virus program (during installation), but I could not. I have AVG Pro 9, and could see NOWHERE as to how to go about disabling it. I didn't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling/reinstalling AVG, but may have to try it. Outside of doing that, I think that getting a reader for the card might be the only alternative.

But do you know of a program that might handle such DAT files in a more easily/organized manner? And that would also show the Date/Time stampings of the messages?

I really do appreciate your help, CR6. 'means a whole bunch, to me.

No problem bud!
    Not sure about the DAT file issue but I'll do a lttle digging and see what i can find.
    Worse comes to worse you may try downloading a third party app from the Market. Ive used one in the past called "sms backup & restore", its got an option in the settings to add the timestamp, specifically for devices that don't save them automatically.
    I'll get back to you on the DAT issue in a bit.

Tapatalker!

Dat files are data files that may have been text, or binary or even another type of document. It's a pain trying to discern which is best way to be able to read on a PC. Part of reason depends on what os your running your PC and another is what document program your running. My suggestion would be to try and change the dat extension to a doc extension first. If you don't know how or isn't working cone back here and I'll explain it. I also agree with cr6 about getting a third party app.

Slag had a good idea with changing the file extension to. doc that way you'll be able to read it through Word. Here's some good general information on DAT files and I actually learned a few things myself, so maybe it'll come in handy for you as well.
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...pen-dat-files/
    If none of these suggestions work, I'd go with the third party app I suggested earlier as I know that works. Good luck & let us know how you make out!

Tapatalker!

No problem bud!
    Not sure about the DAT file issue but I'll do a lttle digging and see what i can find.
    Worse comes to worse you may try downloading a third party app from the Market. Ive used one in the past called "sms backup & restore", its got an option in the settings to add the timestamp, specifically for devices that don't save them automatically.
    I'll get back to you on the DAT issue in a bit.

Tapatalker!
    Many thanks, again. I will see about trying to find that mentioned app.

Slag had a good idea with changing the file extension to. doc that way you'll be able to read it through Word. Here's some good general information on DAT files and I actually learned a few things myself, so maybe it'll come in handy for you as well.
    How to read and open .DAT files in Windows
    If none of these suggestions work, I'd go with the third party app I suggested earlier as I know that works. Good luck & let us know how you make out!

Tapatalker!
    I had indeed run across that very same site, just after authoring my previous reply. However, I got stumped with it. I don't know it appearances are different because I am running Vista, or if it is because of something that I had done wrong. Below, are two screenshots of the only area I could find that would even come close to what was displayed in the instructions at that site. I double-clicked on 'Computer', right-clicked on 'OS (C), then left-clicked on 'Properties. That was the process which brought me to where I landed. Now, I know that the direction was to go to 'My Computer', but that designation wasn't there - just 'Computer'.

Name:  V2.jpg
Views: 6536
Size:  47.1 KBName:  V1.jpg
Views: 6454
Size:  54.8 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links