Sprint/HTC System Upgrade 4.22.651.2 (109.21MB) - FOTA Update

This is a discussion on Sprint/HTC System Upgrade 4.22.651.2 (109.21MB) - FOTA Update within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Sprint is trying to push this update out... man, 109MB? Anyways, I'd like to hear from other Sprint EVO 4G owners that have taken the ...

Thread: Sprint/HTC System Upgrade 4.22.651.2 (109.21MB) - FOTA Update

Sprint/HTC System Upgrade 4.22.651.2 (109.21MB) - FOTA Update

Sprint is trying to push this update out... man, 109MB? Anyways, I'd like to hear from other Sprint EVO 4G owners that have taken the plunge. Any quirks to be aware of, or preupdate steps to take? Is it worth the 109MB download?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Don't do it if u have any intentions of rooting. The update has no real advantage to offer and looks the same....really hope HTC decides to unlock their bootloaders.......a little cooperation goes a long way!

Sent from my PC36100 using Android.net

Where did see that HTC doesn't unlock their bootloaders?

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    A few phones are locked down. The Inc 2 and S2, for example. And there's the G2. That sucker's locked pretty darn tightly.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Weird you say g2 because my buddy has gingerbread on it. Must have rooted it before they locked it. He rooted back in March.(Update) nevermind I know what he did.
    Last edited by SLAG IT!; 06-15-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Hello, I'm new to this forum so bear with me. @ Micael, I went thru lots of forums to see the feedback on the software upgrade and noticed just a small handfull of HTC EVO 4G owners did a factory reset to their phone, downloaded the update, then did another factory reset and all was working well. No complaints about voicemail icon or any other issues so many seem to be having. So I did the same thing (of course I saved my contacts list etc., ect.). I did the update June 11th because like I said wanted to see the feedback first, and I'm happy to report I've had no issues, Thank God, knock on wood. If you haven't done so already (the update), this may work for you too. Just htought I'd share, good luck!

Not so fast, folks ... there's more to this release than it appears. I wish I had not accepted it.

The things I can observe are:

1) On the power options menu (which comes up when you hold down the power button), the previous version gave choices like Power down, Silent Mode, Vibrate Mode, Airplane Mode, and something else. The new version gets rid of the Silent and Vibrate Modes and gives a Restart choice instead. The Sprint rep claims no responsibility for this release, and suggests that to get to Silent mode, I just reduce the volume to zero. Unfortunately, that leaves the phone in vibrate mode, which isn't good if you mean for Silent to mean Silent. The other workaround is to go into Settings | Sound | Sound Profile and then choose between Normal, Vibrate, and Silent. This is certainly inconvenient, and is why these functions would have been on the Power Options menu in the first place.

2) The Calendar widget on the main screen has always repainted itself when the screen appears. It's been most noticeable when turning off the screen for a while, and then turning it back on -- there's been a second or two delay, but it was a snappy repaint. In the new release, all of this is still true, except that the snappy repaint is replaced by a much slower animation. Not a good trade.

3) The GMail notification icon (the revered M) that shows at the top of the screen has been replaced by a whispy "m". Were I Google, I might suggest returning to the strong M instead of the wimpy m.

4) The GMail application has some new functionality, which I like. Mainly, it's that I can change to All Mail label by hitting a button on the mail list screen, instead of having to go through the menu. The price, though, is that they have also messed with the font spacing, causing some fields to wrap awkwardly.

Honestly, that's all I can see from having played with this for a day.

And based on #1, I want the old version back. The Sprint people tell me they have nothing to do with the software, except to transport it. They gave me HTC's direct number (866) 449-8358 ... they're open 7 days. They also suggested going to a Sprint store, which might have a copy of the original software that they can load onto the phone.

Bottom line: there's no reason I can see to upgrade to this version, and I can see good reasons not to.

just d/l the new version. I went into the manage apps "running" page and all those annoying automatically-started-up apps that used to be there, are gone!

yea! this should mean improved battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by bdemchak View Post

1) On the power options menu (which comes up when you hold down the power button), the previous version gave choices like Power down, Silent Mode, Vibrate Mode, Airplane Mode, and something else. The new version gets rid of the Silent and Vibrate Modes and gives a Restart choice instead. The Sprint rep claims no responsibility for this release, and suggests that to get to Silent mode, I just reduce the volume to zero. Unfortunately, that leaves the phone in vibrate mode, which isn't good if you mean for Silent to mean Silent. The other workaround is to go into Settings | Sound | Sound Profile and then choose between Normal, Vibrate, and Silent. This is certainly inconvenient, and is why these functions would have been on the Power Options menu in the first place.
    Well, actually, it's a little worse than that. To either reduce the volume or to use the settings menus, you first have to enter the phone's password. So, that adds just a bit more pain to what used to be a trivial menu operation, and is now dysfunctional. On the positive side, it's possible to use the volume buttons to get to either silent or vibrate mode ... but to return to the original volume, you have to remember where you set it.

What were these people thinking??!

I've actually noticed a positive change or two:

1. Drop down menu choices are "shorter" so that more choices fit on the screen at a time.
    2. The famous clock widget actually works in that when the time changes the tiles drop. (yay!)

Sent from my EVO.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links