My Biggest Battery Help (So Far)

This is a discussion on My Biggest Battery Help (So Far) within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; I've been experiencing really poor battery life on my EVO, (4 to 5 hrs) but I'd noticed that I had really poor reception also, so ...

Thread: My Biggest Battery Help (So Far)

My Biggest Battery Help (So Far)

I've been experiencing really poor battery life on my EVO, (4 to 5 hrs) but I'd noticed that I had really poor reception also, so I was looking for service about 30 to 50 percent of the time. Then I found this, HUGE improvement so far.

Evo battery life trick read - xda-developers

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Member droidaddict_sprintdroids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Varo View Post
    I've been experiencing really poor battery life on my EVO, (4 to 5 hrs) but I'd noticed that I had really poor reception also, so I was looking for service about 30 to 50 percent of the time. Then I found this, HUGE improvement so far.

Evo battery life trick read - xda-developers
    Varo - where are you located with such a poor coverage just curious. Is it a phone issue or is this Sprint issue?

Its an issue with where I work, manufacturing facility lots of stainless steel. Had the same issue with every other phone I've ever owned, but never this bad. After reading that post, it sounds like there are some phones that come with the wrong (PRL) setting. After I changed mine to CDMA auto (PRL) my "Time Without a Signal" has dropped to about 10%.

Some things that helped me I found on another site. It tells you how to prime the battery (i guess that is what you would call it anyway). The instructors were to plug the phone in and let it charge until the green light appears. Unplug the phone, then turn it off and plug it back in. When the light turns green unplug and turn the phone on and off then plug back in till green.

Then the other suggestions included downloading ATK, advanced task killer from the android market, then make it stop syncing news, stocks and weather. Now the only thing I sync is my gmail. With the ATK, I keep gmail, clock and a couple other things running but kill everything else. i went from only getting 3 maybe 4 hours to now getting over 20 hours and still having between 40 and 60 percent battery left.

I agree with all of you about the short battery life but cmon, enjoy the phone and all its glorious apps and options!!

The reason the EVO has a 4.3 inch screen is to ENJOY the rich colors and stream videos and take a ton of pics!

It's like having a Ferrari and driving it 20 mph! Cmon, let your hair down and let the EVO rip!

My battery life seems to be no worse than my Touch Pro. I can make it through an entire day with "my" normal usage which is about an hour of talk, some texting, some internet, hourly emails, some games. Two caveats 1) as with most phones I probably only get about 3 - 4 hours talk time (have not talked more than an hour and a half on any particular day) and 2) watching a lot of video or TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock1973 View Post
    I agree with all of you about the short battery life but cmon, enjoy the phone and all its glorious apps and options!!

The reason the EVO has a 4.3 inch screen is to ENJOY the rich colors and stream videos and take a ton of pics!

It's like having a Ferrari and driving it 20 mph! Cmon, let your hair down and let the EVO rip!
    The thing is you act like I am not enjoying my phone. I am enjoying it. I am enjoying the fact that after all this time with a BB and getting donks at all hours of the night I am no longer getting those. I have downloaded a few apps, but so far I have been so busy that I have not had a chance to REALLY explore apps. But I am going to be out and about town the next week were I will NOT be in any position to have a charger with me and I NEED to have a phone that works. With the battery life now I have NO worries that I will get stranded without a phone. Before I would have been. I agree with the Ferrari and I do really hope to take the phone for a true spin and I don't mind that it won't last quite as long when i can have apps going and I have a charger nearby, but when you don't have that luxury it is nice to know that I can kill a few things to get me a phone through the day.

Ok, finally got my "Time without a Signal" down to 0%. Here's how, and don't ask me why it works, I just know that I'm able to use my phone now without worrying about the battery. If you're not having issues with the "Time Without a Signal", I envy you, if you are, this fixed it for me.

"found this on another site don't know if it has any relevance since i just tried it but will keep you posted:

Disclaimer: the following may *not* to the HTC EVO! And yes, of course we should NEVER have to deal with this kind of kluge. But it might help…

There’s a known bug in the cell radio software on at least one other HTC Android phone (Eris) that can significantly reduce battery life. Basically, it thinks it doesn’t have a signal (though it’s connected) and frequently keeps trying to connect, which steadily drains the battery, even when the phone is apparently idle.

To check if this is affecting your phone:
    From the home screen, press Menu, Settings.
    Scroll down to the bottom and press About Phone.
    Press Battery
    Press Battery Use
    Press Cell Standby.
    Take a look at Time Without Signal. If it’s 0% or a bit higher, then your phone is not affected and you can stop reading. If it’s 50% or significantly higher than you know it should be (e.g. you were in cell range all or most of the time), then the phone is being affected by this problem. BTW, Time Without Signal may not be displayed in some circumstances – try again later. AFAIK, all HTC Eris’s are affected, not sure about other phones.

The good news is that there’s a simple way to fix it (usually called the Airplane Mode trick):

Power your phone off and then restart it.
    Once it’s fully booted, plug in the charger.
    From the Home screen, press Menu, Settings and Wireless & Networks.
    Press Airplane Mode and wait until it’s checked and back to full brightness.
    Unplug the charger.
    Press Airplane mode and make sure that it’s unchecked.
    That’s it!"

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links