Email being deleted from server

This is a discussion on Email being deleted from server within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Problem - I have my Evo set up so it does not delete email from the server (uncheck box). However, if I delete an email ...

Thread: Email being deleted from server

Email being deleted from server

Problem - I have my Evo set up so it does not delete email from the server (uncheck box). However, if I delete an email from my Evo trash it still deletes it from the server. Apparently do not delete from server only works when deleting the email from the inbox. I spoke with Sprint and they indicated this is correct if you delete email from trash it will delete it from the server which makes it gone forever on the phone and my computer. Question - how can I delete emails from my phone (too conserve memory and manage email) but not from my server. I get 100 emails a day and my trash will be thousands in no time.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

What type of mail sync are you using? Exchange, Google, POP, IMAP? Each probably has unique features/procedures/settings.

Pop - Godaddy but the problem is not on their side my Touch Pro worked fine. Sprint says it is how Android does it.

Well, I did a workaround to prevent this problem all together. I created a different pop account specifically for my phone, then I created a forwarder on my primary account that forwards everything to the phone account. So now it doesn't matter if the EVO deletes an email, it is still in my primary account.

Should not have to do that (and maybe don't with other email clients, haven't tried any yet), but it does work.

I have a couple of questions if you can answer them:

Do you use the same account (the original one) with your home computer or laptop?

If so, what happens when you d/l the emails onto the other computer? Are they removed from the server then? What happens with the emails in the EVO? Does the EVO sync with the server and remove any mails in its storage that are no longer on the server?

TIA for any info.

In my specific case, I use POP email and have my local clients (Outlook) set up to delete from server after 10 days. That is enough time for all my computers (even an infrequently used laptop) to pull down all email. I have Outlook installed on 3 computers that sync with my primary email.

Because of the problem I saw in this thread about the EVO, I decided to simply set up a separate email account specifically for the EVO, and forward everything from my primary email account to the EVO account. That way, it doesn't matter if the EVO deletes the email from the server, as it is it's own account.

There are other ways to deal with this. Using SMTP rather than POP is probably the "right" answer, but I have never taken the time to set it up and figure it all out. I just figured out what works for me, and I use that.

Thanks for the reply.

I was just wondering if you never deleted email from the EVO trash, would they get deleted automatically once they were no longer on the server.

I don't expect you to answer this now, since you have it set up for your needs and probably don't care to screw it up by going backwards...I may try this myself at some point and if so I will try to remember to update this thread.

Again, it depends a lot on how you set up the phone's email. If you set it up as IMAP, then the folders on the phone and on the server are synchronized and whatever you do one place, happens the other place as soon as you connect. If you set it up as POP, then normally as soon as you download an email it is removed from the server (whether or not you ever delete it locally). With Outlook, you can change the way POP works by telling outlook to leave a copy of the email on the server, and delete it after x days (which is how I have mine setup). But it sounds like the mail client on the EVO does not work properly in that regard (deletes regardless), or is set up as IMAP which keeps everything synced normally.

It doesn't keep the folders synced. I tried leaving mail on the server, and deleted some from my webmail program (IMAP, which does delete it from the server.) The email stayed in my trash folder on the EVO.

I don't believe that you can set up just any POP account as IMAP unless the mail server also supports IMAP.

The next issue I'm having with the mail program on the EVO is that there is no SPAM filter. My mail server flags all SPAM with a ****SPAM**** tag, and my PC clients (Thunderbird) filter all that out. But there's no way to do it on the phone. I don't want to delete the SPAM on the server, because sometimes there is an important email that gets flagged.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links