did anyone get bricked by todays update?

This is a discussion on did anyone get bricked by todays update? within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Originally Posted by ThatTmoGuy ... And it seems like battery life had improved a bit don't know if it was from use or the update ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: did anyone get bricked by todays update?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTmoGuy View Post
    And it seems like battery life had improved a bit don't know if it was from use or the update
    If you have Wi-Fi on a lot it could very well be due to the update.

I received a notification that there is a system software update available, System Update 1.47.651.1 (30.15 MB). Is this the same one you're talking about here, or should I go ahead and install it? And if I don't install it now, will it send me a reminder notice again? Thanks!

I got a brick.

Updated just fine, seemed to take a good bit of time for it to complete, but all was well. And either this update did something to help battery life a bit or I am not using it as much as I was two days ago cause my battery life is much better now than it was two days ago with no additional setting changes.

I was manually rooted and never got the notification of the update or the update itself. I also noted a lot of apps were missing in the Market.

I started researching and found that Google (and probably Sprint) have a way to check the "fingerprint" of your OS to see if it has been rooted or you have a different ROM altogether. If you do, it blocks you and blocks certain apps (copy protected apps) from showing up for you.

So I unrooted my phone (basically re-installed the ealier 1.32xxxxxxx version) and immediately the update notification went off and the update started. Yes, I am running the update because when I checked with Sprint earlier in the day they told me the update had been removed to fix a problem. I'm guessing (hoping actually) this is the re-release of the update by Sprint since it is 10:00 pm.

Installing now, will update when finished.

It worked, but not as advertised.

At first it looked like it did the update. But when I checked the software version it was still 1.32xxxxx. And yes I let it go through the entire process. However, I had left the phone plugged into the computer in charge only mode.

So I check for the update, it shows up. This time I remove the phone from the USB and go through the process again. This time after the whole process is finished I get the "you now have 1.47xxxxxx". A check of software shows it now is updated.

Seems to be running fine and missing apps have appeared again, now that the phone is not rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    So far, all of the reports I've read have been pretty much user error that's causing the bricking. Just be sure to:

A.) Let the update run it's course. There will be a few times when it seems like the phone is locked up when it's actually not. I came real close to removing the battery and rebooting when it seemed stuck on the HTC screen but glad I didn't. It took about 10 minutes for it to update after the initial download. The phone rebooted 4 times during the update process.

B.) Don't update it a second time after the first time was successful. There is a bug that is telling people that another update is available when it really isn't. Trying to run it a second time bricks the phone.

Just stay away from doing those two things and you'll be fine. That is, assuming your EVO is still stock. If you have a rooted EVO with a different ROM on it, people have reported error messages and update failures. I'm sure the devs are already working hard to provide a clean version of the OTA that works with rooted phones.
    Metal Head is 100% accurate. Follow his instructions and use patience. You will think it's locked and stuck at the 4G screen. It's not, just wait!!

I did my update last night about 2am and it took about 45 minutes to complete. I was very tempted to reset the phone at the 4G screen because it appeared to be stuck. I fought the temptation and it did eventually turn on (10 minutes at least) and it appears to be working.

My phone was rooted with unrevoked during the entire update. No issues with the update itself.

Some things I have noticed since the update:

1. Text punctuation is not working as it used to. At first it didnt work at all (holding the key down). Then it started working with messages and talk.
    2. Many screens do not work in landscape anymore.; ie: Contacts, People, etc.
    3. Rumors that unrevoked does not work. I have it - afraid to hit the button until I receive more information.
    4. I have TV.com and Unrevoked, and have had them both since before the update. TV.com still working.
    5. My wifi does work slightly better.
    6. Bluetooth doesn't seem to drop connection during a call anymore.
    7. Phone seems to be slightly faster with the update.
    This is just my experiences. YMMV.

Updated about an hour ago everything works fine. It also updated the Qik software so I had to remove the old icon from my home page and replace it with the new Blue one. Other than that works the same so far.

Yep, just updated my Evo too. No issues or problems to report so far. I can't wait to update the phone to Froyo 2.2. I think the Nexus One and the orginal Droid have already gotten the update/upgrade to 2.2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links