Antivirus for Android Phones?

This is a discussion on Antivirus for Android Phones? within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Originally Posted by keevo nope. you are wrong. Got a virus on my HTC Evo. Downloaded Antivirus from the android market and it found the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus for Android Phones?

Quote Originally Posted by keevo View Post
    nope. you are wrong. Got a virus on my HTC Evo.

Downloaded Antivirus from the android market and it found the virus.

sent email spam to all my contacts
    Please don't take this offensively, but I am inclined to think there is some sort of misunderstanding with what's going on with your EVO.
    I have done extensive research on the matter, and continue to do so on a semi regular basis and the general consensus of devs (the guys who know what they're talking about) all over the android world coupled with my own knowledge of Android and Linux (what android is based on) leads me to the conclusion that viruses on android just don't exist and antivirus programs are either a waste of money or system resources or both. It is a well known fact that effective malware is extremely difficult to produce for linux and its offspring (like android).

Think about it this way, antivirus programs need definitions to work. There are currently zero reported viruses for android, making yours pretty much the first one. So assuming you are the first person to get this virus, how did your antivirus program already know what to look for? My guess is that it didn't and it just gave you a false reading to make you feel like it did something. Also keep in mind that all your contacts are backed up in google's cloud and most likely on your computer so if all of them did get spammed, maybe it's a PC virus?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    There is absolutely NO reason to have an antivirus program on an Android phone. There are no viruses for Android, so what are those AV programs looking for? I read an article by a dev somewhere (I'll post it when I dig it up later) where he tore into a few A/V programs and found that they were using definitions from WinMo and Symbian. Android is NOT WinMo or Symbian so those definitions just won't do anything at all for an Android phone.

Android is Linux based and as such needs user permission to run/install ANYTHING. Even if viruses did exist for Android (which they don't) as long as you know what you're installing, you won't catch one.
    Not at all. I got infected through an app which hijacked my gmail, and sent out a link to a webpage in Libya to everyone on my contact list. Google caught it after the first 10 recipients and shut down my account. I changed my gmail password and now a window pops up asking me to re-enter my password. Since my gmail is working, I assume this is an attempt to harvest my new password. I believe I am still infected.

I looked into Antivirus Pro for Android and read over a hundred user comments on it. I was not inspired to buy it from the comments, even though most of them were positive. Here's why:

Nearly all the positive comments were based on absence of evidence. Basically, "nothing has happened, so I feel safe." Most of the negative comments are based on real experience, therefore I am led to believe that this app does little to protect you, beyond a few basic warnings, and common-sense precautions, and a few dialogs which get you to agree to assume the risk when things go wrong.

There is a difference between an app and a virus. If you delete the app that caused that, then you are no longer "infected". A virus can run freely without your permission, however nothing can do that on Android. Anything that gets installed has to be OK'd by the user.

An app can only do what you give it permission to do. When you download and install something, you are given a list of permissions that the app requires to function. If there is anything out of the ordinary, don't install it. For instance, why would a wallpaper app need access to your personal information and contacts list? Pay attention to what you're installing and you won't have issues.

Anyways, what you described just sounds like someone jacked your gmail account. Not a virus, not malware. What app did you install that you think caused the "infection"?

I have to agree with MH on this one. If you give someone access to your system and they use that access in a malicious way thats different then a virus in your system. If a virus was possible to your phone i think i would have got one by now with all the things i have looked at on it lol.

Again like MH said when you install an app make sure it makes sense what access they ask for.
    Build: Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0 By Flipz
    Kernel Version: King-havs-OcUverik@Ubuntu#9
    Phone: Htc Evo 4g Proud owner 6/4/10
    Over Clocked to 1.2ghz
    ADW.Launcher
    ClockworkMod Recovery
    Unrevoked 3.2
    You i balling me or you just like my Evo

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    There is a difference between an app and a virus. If you delete the app that caused that, then you are no longer "infected". A virus can run freely without your permission, however nothing can do that on Android. Anything that gets installed has to be OK'd by the user.

An app can only do what you give it permission to do. When you download and install something, you are given a list of permissions that the app requires to function. If there is anything out of the ordinary, don't install it. For instance, why would a wallpaper app need access to your personal information and contacts list? Pay attention to what you're installing and you won't have issues.

Anyways, what you described just sounds like someone jacked your gmail account. Not a virus, not malware. What app did you install that you think caused the "infection"?
    Don't tell me I didn't ask for it; because I know I did, but the app was called WuzhenhuaPlayer. It's almost all in Chinese and worked very poorly, so I uninstalled it. All this stuff started to happen within hours of using it.

I can't prove it of course, but since I reset my gmail password, something keeps asking me for my google login. I just ignore it, and google works fine otherwise.

I don't know enough about the Android operating system to know if there is a rogue process running or not, but I don't want to take the chance. I don't know if I want to trust any Android antivirus app, so I'd like to find a way to clean everything out and start fresh.

I'd like to find a way to clean everything out and start fresh.
    Assuming you're not rooted, you can just do a factory reset and that will put you back to square one. Let this be a lesson to always research what you're installing. Always read the comments and if the app gets less than 4 stars, be wary.

Antivirus

I am currently using the Lookout premium on my phone and it seems to be perfectly fine. they have the free version and the 30 day trial premium version.

Don't be so naive... They're out there. I know this is an isolated thing, it's only a matter of time before it hits the US...

Sophisticated New Android Trojan "Geinimi" Spreading in China | Information Security News, IT Security News & Expert Insights: SecurityWeek.Com

when you get an app you should also look at what actions it performs. If its a music program and it says it will have acess to and can make changes to contacts, gmail, apps, SD card, bank account, DNA, first born and Micheal Jackson then you obviously dont want it. Just pay attention and use common sense.

being an IT student, recently from my securities class, I can tell you that the safety of linux is greatly exaggerated. The reason that there are few effective virus for linux is that there are fewer users, and more importantly fewer technologically challenged users. The fact of the matter is that linux adopted some of the safety features of other operating systems (in most flavors) because of the huge gaping security holes.

Therefore using the fact that android is linux based as a reason to avoid getting anti-virus software is like saying that you don't need seat belt because you drive a ford. there is already a history of smart phones breading virus because of oversight. Why not on an android? Wouldn't be hard to write one. The delivery method is the key.

Personally, I prefer an ounce of prevention over a pound of cure. sure you can factory reset, but if all your info that's been stored on your phone's been emailed to god knows where then that doesn't help does it.

~spoonz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links