Antivirus for Android Phones?

This is a discussion on Antivirus for Android Phones? within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Originally Posted by MetalHead I'd like to find a way to clean everything out and start fresh. Assuming you're not rooted, you can just do ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antivirus for Android Phones?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    I'd like to find a way to clean everything out and start fresh.
    Assuming you're not rooted, you can just do a factory reset and that will put you back to square one. Let this be a lesson to always research what you're installing. Always read the comments and if the app gets less than 4 stars, be wary.
    I was originally going to quote your first post, but I see our thoughts are aligning.

I just want to start out with an definition or two.

A rootkit is a software system that consists of one or more programs designed to obscure the fact that the system has been compromised.

virus: a software program capable of reproducing itself and usually capable of causing great harm to files or other programs on the same computer; "a true virus cannot spread to another computer without human assistance"

A virus is a big brute that makes a general nuisance of himself pretty much just destroying data. The root kit is much more nefarious. It's silent. But honestly most user's can't distinguish between a virus and a rootkit. Other than the fact they can't detect the rootkit. Considering the success of linux I'm sure authors of these nefarious programs will soon be trying their hand at linux. It will require more effort on their behalf, but it is quite doable:

Android rootkit demonstrated - The H Open Source: News and Features

This definitely sounds like a fun project; transitioning something like the open source chkrootkit to android.

TGB
    I am also looking for antivirus for my Evo. I recently imported all my photos from my phone to pc and got about 50 pictures of web sites that I have visited on my Evo in the past including my bank. Just started investigating this, but any thoughts would be appreciated. I have installed only a few apps.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    Pay attention to what you're installing and you won't have issues.
    OK... this applies to probably 2/3 of the malware for Windows. Sure, there are more sophisticated attacks that take advantage of unpatched flaws--but in many cases someone did something really stupid. People don't pay attention--hence the increased need for malware protection.

I know MetalHead's posts are old, but since then there have also been stronger examples showing app and OS flaws with potential for real malware problems (not unlike Windows).

Regardless, if paying attention is required to avoid malware--there's plenty of good reason for anti-virus to exist. Sadly, most users don't pay attention.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links