Antivirus for Android Phones?

This is a discussion on Antivirus for Android Phones? within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Just wondering if I should consider looking into Antivirus apps for my phone? Are any of you running some form of Antivirus app? If so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus for Android Phones?

Antivirus for Android Phones?

Just wondering if I should consider looking into Antivirus apps for my phone? Are any of you running some form of Antivirus app? If so what kind?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I am using "antivirus free" by droidSecurity Inc. they have a free version with ads and a paid one I am assuming without ads. For me the free one works fine, it does a scan of any app u download....seems to be a good app for antivirus. Course there are always others that could be better....have a good one.

mine is just called antivirus and its a picture of a pill orange and white. Seems to work fine. And free.

There is absolutely NO reason to have an antivirus program on an Android phone. There are no viruses for Android, so what are those AV programs looking for? I read an article by a dev somewhere (I'll post it when I dig it up later) where he tore into a few A/V programs and found that they were using definitions from WinMo and Symbian. Android is NOT WinMo or Symbian so those definitions just won't do anything at all for an Android phone.

Android is Linux based and as such needs user permission to run/install ANYTHING. Even if viruses did exist for Android (which they don't) as long as you know what you're installing, you won't catch one.

I recently downloaded Lookout from app store. Its a great app, scans everything you install, has a way to track your phone if you loose it, automatically backup pics and data.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
    There is absolutely NO reason to have an antivirus program on an Android phone. There are no viruses for Android, so what are those AV programs looking for? I read an article by a dev somewhere (I'll post it when I dig it up later) where he tore into a few A/V programs and found that they were using definitions from WinMo and Symbian. Android is NOT WinMo or Symbian so those definitions just won't do anything at all for an Android phone.

Android is Linux based and as such needs user permission to run/install ANYTHING. Even if viruses did exist for Android (which they don't) as long as you know what you're installing, you won't catch one.
    this exactly. to my knowledge, no virus exists for android. all those programs do is take up memory, ergo slow the OS down. get rid of it.

nope. you are wrong. Got a virus on my HTC Evo.

Downloaded Antivirus from the android market and it found the virus.

sent email spam to all my contacts

i agree with metalhead..

what was the virus called?

if you really feel the need to get an anti virii app, just plug in your phone to your desktop and scan it that way.

i don't think theres a need to dl an app to your evo....for now..

1. Don't count on your Windows antivirus program being able to pick up the signatures from an android virus.

2. Also I don't believe Windows can access the android system drive, which is where all Android 2.1 apps are installed, so I would not expect a Windows anti-virus program to be effective at all. Your best bet would be to download the programs you want to install to your PC first, and scan them. But in that case, my point #1 comes into play.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by keevo View Post
    nope. you are wrong. Got a virus on my HTC Evo.

Downloaded Antivirus from the android market and it found the virus.

sent email spam to all my contacts
    Well that's the first I have heard of... i stand corrected!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links