BUGGY EVOs?

This is a discussion on BUGGY EVOs? within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; both my son and i got EVO's through radio shack on the first day they were released. outside of the usual learning a new operating ...

Thread: BUGGY EVOs?

Junior Member edgar_sprintdroids's Avatar

BUGGY EVOs?

both my son and i got EVO's through radio shack on the first day they were released. outside of the usual learning a new operating system problems and other minor adjustments we were both fairly happy. ( i still can't get anything but evo videos to run on the thing but thats another issue )

about a week ago the kids EVO started to seriously slow down. there would be a 4 to 5 second delay swiping through each of the seven home screens. likewise refreshes would take several seconds. over this past weekend any time he tried to use ANY geo tagged service ( YELP, WHERE, GOOGLE MAPS, GOOGLE EARTH, etc ) the phone would automatically reboot. ARGHHH.

we took it back to radio shack last night and they didn't seem surprised. in fact they said they've been getting a fair number of EVO returns based on "bug" issues. they'll have a new unit for him by next tuesday.

my phone ( knock wood ) seems to be working fine. i put in a seidio 1750 battery to improve battery life. other than that my son's and my phone are running firmware 2.1.1 / software 1.47.651.1 / browser webkit 3.1 / PRI 1.40_003. yada yada.

anyone else having issues? or hear about people returning evos - en masse?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I would install SystemPanel and see if there are any runaway processes running in the background eating up memory and/or processor time. I had a similar issue before, android.process.acore was running constantly eating up over 50% of my processor, killing battery life and making the phone sluggish. Using SystemPanel and a little troubleshooting I was able to determine that it was directly tied to Facebook for Sense. My issue was rectified with the last OTA though.

First, it could be a task killer, so do a system wipe and don't reinstall a task killer. They are worthless and cause plenty of trouble, usually system instability. Also, make sure its running the latest firmware, I forgot to check what you wrote, but make sure you get the latest PRL (not PRI), Profile, and System software. It could be a bad widget, so try taking off various widgets and see if that helps. Another thing could be a bad app, usually one that is constantly using data. Look and see if the the data network is lit up at the top of the screen for extended periods when not using the web. If Facebook for HTC Sense is the problem, turn that off by signing out. My Evo has always run great, but usually task killers can cause these problems after a while. Try a factory reset and only install apps you actually use. That should clear it up. Give it about a week to readjust and try rebooting when it starts to slow down. Sometimes the system just needs a restart to clear the Ram. Hope one of those suggestions help. Most of the Evo problems are Hardware related, generally the light leakage and screens coming apart. Software is good as long as its the newest version and a factory reset will give you the best software possible. Good luck.

another vote for system panel. Since i put in S.P. (after the learning curve) now you can pinpoint any problems fast. Great tool recommended from MetalHead

Junior Member edgar_sprintdroids's Avatar
    thanks all. the kid picks up a "new" phone later today. i will advise him on the app killer and system panel. likewise being careful about widgets. lets see what happens.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links