Sprint 4G in New York City!!!

This is a discussion on Sprint 4G in New York City!!! within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Sidlinger: Yea I wouldnt doubt that they turned it off. My 4G signal I was reliably getting back in May in Downtown Jersey City, NJ ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sprint 4G in New York City!!!

Sidlinger:

Yea I wouldnt doubt that they turned it off. My 4G signal I was reliably getting back in May in Downtown Jersey City, NJ has turned off. Their is a 4G signal still running somewhere in downtown but i have to be at a high vantage point where my phone is not blocked by apartment buildings. I believe its the Newport tower thats transmitting it or some skyscraper across the river.

It's November 1st! Been getting a pretty solid 4g signal for the past week, but now it should be official. Expecting the email from Sprint when I wake up, saying nyc is good to go. Weeeeeeeeee!

Sedge

Im happy New York has finally dropped 4G for the masses. Jersey City still has more to go. Wimax is a ***** to get across the river in downtown jersey city now.

My experiences with Wimax towards the inland areas of New Jersey has surprised me. Sprints got alot of area to cover and create redundancy, cuz I've passed through areas where wimax coverage is at and it fluctuates pretty hard between 0-full bars, even when your driving. Wimax's signal can heavily diminish going under bridges, around buildings and even just passing by a tower. You can see how much your own hand can effect your handset recieving the signal. They really have to clean the rough edges on the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewtorrespr View Post
    Im happy New York has finally dropped 4G for the masses. Jersey City still has more to go. Wimax is a ***** to get across the river in downtown jersey city now.

My experiences with Wimax towards the inland areas of New Jersey has surprised me. Sprints got alot of area to cover and create redundancy, cuz I've passed through areas where wimax coverage is at and it fluctuates pretty hard between 0-full bars, even when your driving. Wimax's signal can heavily diminish going under bridges, around buildings and even just passing by a tower. You can see how much your own hand can effect your handset recieving the signal. They really have to clean the rough edges on the technology.
    The only way to clean it up is redundancy. However, they need a lot of redundancy. The issue is the 4g signal is using the 2.5 ghz spectrum(2500 mhz). It's a trade off. Greater distance for less building penetration. Verizon will be using the 700 mhz spectrum. They will have greater building penetration with less distance. There is no easy answer.

Is their a spectrum band that can do both very well?...I looked at a chart one day when i was working at a VZW corporate office, and they had a map with all the different kinds of spectrum...There is a pretty huge range of communication frequencies!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewtorrespr View Post
    Is their a spectrum band that can do both very well?...I looked at a chart one day when i was working at a VZW corporate office, and they had a map with all the different kinds of spectrum...There is a pretty huge range of communication frequencies!
    Nope. It will always be a compromise between distance and penetration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links