Streaming internet radio

This is a discussion on Streaming internet radio within the HTC EVO 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; So before I had my Evo, I had a Touch Pro with wimo. By the end I hated the phone, and am really happy I ...

Thread: Streaming internet radio

Streaming internet radio

So before I had my Evo, I had a Touch Pro with wimo. By the end I hated the phone, and am really happy I switched. But there was one thing that the Touch Pro did a lot better, and that is streaming radio.

I used an app called Resco Radio. It managed to stream and buffer really well. The thing that makes this challenging is doing it while driving, because it is going from tower to tower as it does it.

Anyway, I have tried a bunch of different ones on Android.... even bought a lot of them:

Radio Time:
    Great interface easy to use, pretty bad at buffering, has ability to choose different streams but that part is pretty much broken.

StreamFurious Pro:
    Terrible interface, expensive, bad streaming

XiiaLive:
    Pretty good interface (a bit to over the top), slightly better at buffering, but still bad

TuneIn Radio:
    This is an exact clone of Radio Time... don't see the point.

I am wondering... have people seen a big drop in Sprints ability to stream data while on the go? Is this a Sprint issue (more network demand since the Evo came on), and Evo issue (bad 3G radio), an Android issue, or simply inferior apps?

The other big issue I have is that 4G coverage is very spotty in LA, so you are going in and out of area all the time... and when you go from 3G to 4G or back, the connection drops. And even when I am in a 4G area, I am still getting drops while streaming 128kb.

I would love a solution for better listening to internet radio on the go. I hate to say it but my experience on wimo was way more stable.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've only ever used Pandora and Slacker and aside from the sound quality issues when running stock Froyo, I've never had any issues.

Actually I am curious about your experience with the "stock froyo" issue. I am assuming that it is the lack of support of AAC and AAC+. When you rooted and romed your phone, could you fix this? Do you know why this it is the way it is in stock Froyo?

Stock froyo has a problem decoding AAC files, it has something to do with the new media framework that Google calls Stagefright. Google has since fixed the problem but it hasn't made its way into an update for the EVO yet. There are a few ROMs out there that have the fix, Fresh 3.2 being one of them, and the difference in sound quality is night and day.

So apparently on Android Central, the EVO will get an update soon. Maybe this will also fix my AAC issue. Looks like it will also fix the 30 fps issue too.

Oh come on, I reported it before Android Central did!

We'll see what happens, I'd start checking for the update manually in about a half hour or so.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links