Help: Tm G2 vs BB 9780

This is a discussion on Help: Tm G2 vs BB 9780 within the HTC G2 forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; I broke my smartphone cherry two years ago with the Palm Treo 680, now I am itching for something new and a little more up-to-date ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Tm G2 vs BB 9780

Help: Tm G2 vs BB 9780

I broke my smartphone cherry two years ago with the Palm Treo 680, now I am itching for something new and a little more up-to-date than the 680 and find myself stuck between the G2 and the 9780... Im hoping given the following I can find some un-biased responses on this forum.

One quick note, I am locked into Tmobile. Despite the fact I can easily pick a phone on seemingly any other network I am in a spot where leaving Tmobile does not fit enough of a cost/benefit ratio to make it a viable option.

Must have
    Physical full QWERTY keyboard
    Threaded SMS
    Solid Calendar/PDA Functions (possibly w/ sync to computer/online)
    Solid web-browsing
    Durable (I tend to beat up my phones)
    3G+ Speeds
    Battery Life >= 1 day use (my 680 w/ avg. use lasts nearly 2 days)
    USB Connectivity

Reeeeaaaaaalllllly Want

Touchscreen
    Solid Email sync

Want
    Decent camera (my 680 has a VGA camera so anything current is going to be an upgrade)

Concerns with the BB 9780:
    -No touch screen
    -Ive seen both yes and no to threaded SMS
    -Browser?
    -Lack of apps

Concerns with the G2:
    -Landscape vs Portrait keyboard
    -Slider phone (I usually dont like sliders keyboards)
    -Battery life on the G1 is terrible... G2 I can imagine will follow suit.

General concerns:
    I see all of the apps and features my friends have on Android and I think they are cool and am jealous that my phone cant do a lot of these same things but at the same time I dont know how big into apps I will be.

My current phone use:

-Heavy texting
    -Heavily reliant on the calendar/PDA functions
    -Would like to use with email if I can get a good sync and eliminate junk mail
    -Read a good amount of articles on the phone when waiting, etc
    -Will play a few games here and there (maybe more if the phone supports)

As you can tell by my lack of upgrades over the past two years I hold onto my phones for a long time so this purchase isnt something that I will replace in a couple of months and will need to last.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I would stay away from blackberry the g2 is a solid phone great speed and tje battery is very good compared to my nexus one.the keyboard is nice to but with swype preinstalled I dont ever use it

Do you think you will find a lot of BB supporters on this forum? Personally I think almost any Android phone made by HTC is an upgrade to any RIM product.

Quote Originally Posted by djsinco View Post
    Do you think you will find a lot of BB supporters on this forum? Personally I think almost any Android phone made by HTC is an upgrade to any RIM product.

i loved my blackeberry they are good phones but when i bought my nexus i realized how far rim was behind the times. even there newest phone is way behind from where it should be

Quote Originally Posted by djsinco View Post
    Its not that I thought I would get a bunch of BB supporters but I would get a good amount of people who have come from a BB and would be able to shed some light on the pros and cons of each from experience given what I listed as a need, want, etc.

I posted these same questions on BB forums and have gotten responses from people who have BBs for work and Android for play who were able to shed some light, so I thought I would try the same here.

Another question I forgot to ask was... what are the odds the price on the G2 will drop for Xmas sales?

Quote Originally Posted by swedishelite22 View Post
    Its not that I thought I would get a bunch of BB supporters but I would get a good amount of people who have come from a BB and would be able to shed some light on the pros and cons of each from experience given what I listed as a need, want, etc.

I posted these same questions on BB forums and have gotten responses from people who have BBs for work and Android for play who were able to shed some light, so I thought I would try the same here.

Another question I forgot to ask was... what are the odds the price on the G2 will drop for Xmas sales?

pretty sure i saw a link somewhere for $99 bucks dont think it will get much cheaper than that

here ya go even better if ya have a costco membership

T-Mobile® G2

Quote Originally Posted by shibby View Post
    here ya go even better if ya have a costco membership

T-Mobile® G2
    Thanks for posting this. I stopped into Costco tonight and played around. The pricing on that link is...

$49 for a new contract
    $99 for an upgrade

Both of these options come bundled with a case (I assume a sleeve), a bluetooth headset, and a car charger.

Prices are effective until November 2nd... In playing Ive settled on the G2 and will hopefully be picking one up on this sale...

...if I run into problems with the phone down the line do I have to return or deal with it through Costco or can I handle it through Tmobile stores?

Im sure you could go through both if needed

Don't forget to use Voice Commands/Input...imho it's one of Android's 'killer' features!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links