G2 SIM Unlock

This is a discussion on G2 SIM Unlock within the HTC G2 forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; I got my G2 last week and I love it. Paid $290 with a $50 rebate debit card from T-Mobile. I chose standard shipping but ...

Thread: G2 SIM Unlock

6 times

G2 SIM Unlock

I got my G2 last week and I love it. Paid $290 with a $50 rebate debit card from T-Mobile. I chose standard shipping but it arrived at my Hawaii home in two days.

Filled up my 16GB memory card with all my essentials, got my apps installed and was ready to go. I then called up T-Mobile and requested a SIM unlock code as I am traveling to another country this week. The following email arrived in less than twelve hours with the unlock code!

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
    Sim Unlock Reference: 4166212
    IMEI: 359116032221468

Unlock Code: 49909043

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Below you will see the Instructions for unlocking your HTC device.

1. Insert the foreign SIM card
    2. Power on the device and the display should read "Please input unlock code"
    3. Enter the unlock code and the device should display "Phone is unlocked."
    4. Allow the phone to scan the network (or manually click on the antenna icon to do this)

It is very important that the instructions and SIM unlock code are entered correctly as listed. If you receive an error message while performing the instructions do not make any further attempts to unlock the handset. Please be aware that if an excessive amount of incorrect attempts are made, the phone will be permanently locked. You will need to verify the IMEI by pressing *#06# and contact Customer Care for support.

I followed the instructions but the G2 had different prompts than stated in the email. It just stated "Enter Code" and after I did it stated "Unlock Successful! Reboot Immediately". I tapped the OK button but my phone froze. Waited 10 minutes and pulled the battery. Long story short my phone was completely disabled. When I put my T-Mobile SIM back in it had no coverage and when I put my foreign SIM in it no longer asks for an unlock code. Hours of frustration with T-Mobile on the phone and conclusion was the phone was disabled and it had to be returned. (Cost me $10 via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation to send to Georgia).

I loved that G2. Next day I was in Costco and they were selling them for $99 with 2 year contract. However I was ineligible to purchase it as my contract was already upped for 2 years from the previous G2. Called T-Mobile and they promosed to correct the issue immediately. Went back into Costco but still had a contract expiration date of 2012. Called T-Mobile again they stated it could take up to 24 hours for the contract change to me shown to a third-party reseller. Went back to Costco a day later but my contract was still listed as expiring in 2012. I called T-Mobile again. They then asked me to give them a shipping tracking number of the returned G2. I went home and called them again to give them the tracking number. They assured me everything was OK and I could purchase the Costco phone. Went back to Costco day three and I still had 2012 expiration dated contract. Called T-Mobile again and they told me I had to wait until November 15 (a month from now) to purchase a third party phone or I could purchase the same from them now for $150 more than Costco.

Love T-Mobile, love the G-2 however they've given me no alternative but to wait until my contract is truly expired and switch carriers.

Anyway, don't attempt an unlock until T-Mobile gets the bugs out of it.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Nice sharing.thanks for giving unlocking expereience

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links