Bluetooth voice dialing not so hot?

This is a discussion on Bluetooth voice dialing not so hot? within the HTC Inspire 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; I tried out voice dialing with my Bluetooth headset and it worked, but not very well. It didn't do a good job of recognizing my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth voice dialing not so hot?

Question Bluetooth voice dialing not so hot?

I tried out voice dialing with my Bluetooth headset and it worked, but not very well. It didn't do a good job of recognizing my request and began dialing without confirming my request. Anyone have a better solution?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Just a follow-up: I've had better luck dialing by speaking the number, not the contact name. It hasn't misunderstood me yet.

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    I never had any problems with BT Dialing from my car head unit. I also find Voice Search works ton better than the Voice Dialer when calling. Do you select to Voice dial from the phone or from the headset? I never select to voice dial from the phone. I always hit the VDial on the Head Unit.

I've used the button on my earpiece to initiate VDial. I honestly haven't messed with dialing by contact name because it doesn't confirm your choice and I'm worried that it'll dial the wrong person and I'll be scrambling to cancel the call.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Baltz View Post
    Anyone have a better solution?
    Yes, a mid-90's Motorola Razor. Recognizes names ACCURATELY, CONFIRMS them, and THEN dials.

The Inspire will be the 4th smart phone I have returned in the past three years (Palm Centro, iPhone 3g, Captivate, Inspire) because it does not meet the very basic requirement of letting me operate hands-free while driving. I have tried the following headsets with my Inspire: Motorola H17, BluAnt T1, BluAnt Q2.

Also, after using a bluetooth headset the phone's voice capabilities do not work (the microphone registers no input) until the phone is rebooted.

The phone's non-bluetooth voice commands work extremely well, so it puzzles me that the bluetooth does not. The BT capabilities almost look like they were grafted on as an afterthought. Do the engineers not bother to test this stuff at all?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by irguy View Post
    Yes, a mid-90's Motorola Razor. Recognizes names ACCURATELY, CONFIRMS them, and THEN dials.

The Inspire will be the 4th smart phone I have returned in the past three years (Palm Centro, iPhone 3g, Captivate, Inspire) because it does not meet the very basic requirement of letting me operate hands-free while driving. I have tried the following headsets with my Inspire: Motorola H17, BluAnt T1, BluAnt Q2.

Also, after using a bluetooth headset the phone's voice capabilities do not work (the microphone registers no input) until the phone is rebooted.

The phone's non-bluetooth voice commands work extremely well, so it puzzles me that the bluetooth does not. The BT capabilities almost look like they were grafted on as an afterthought. Do the engineers not bother to test this stuff at all?
    The Captivate had a fix which I use all the time, which was in software... the other ones I'm not sure. And actually, the Captivate still doesn't work reliably with the stock AT&T software. I'm using the international Samsung provided ROMs. The Inspire sounds like it's having a kernel issue if the sound doesn't properly register after disconnecting bluetooth... and that's an issue that would have to be fixed in a software update provided by AT&T, you, or the fine folks at XDA.

But yes, Bluetooth with Android was and remains to be troublesome to some extent. I can honestly say that the best Bluetooth implementation I've used was on a Blackberry, but I just couldn't stand their horrible OS anymore.

Also, I see you've tried multiple headsets... With the Moto H17 was it the H17 or H17txt? The H17txt has an installable app from the Android Market that interfaces with it.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

<<H17txt has an installable app>>

I believe it was the h17 t x t and I did install the motospeak application, but that was only for reading texts. The h17 was painfully distorted on my end even with the volume all the way down.

I wonder what the Android developers use to make calls in their cars? Certainly not BT. With no way to stop the call via the headset, one must unlock the phone and terminate the call manually. In other words, break the law.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT

I believe it was the h17 t x t and I did install the motospeak application, but that was only for reading texts. The h17 was painfully distorted on my end even with the volume all the way down.

I wonder what the Android developers use to make calls in their cars? Certainly not BT. With no way to stop the call via the headset, one must unlock the phone and terminate the call manually. In other words, break the law.
    I've used bluetooth a good bit, but not everyday. With bluetooth calls the phone automatically terminates the call when the other party hangs up. But I just really got fed up with Bluetooth's inconveniences and just started using the earbud set that came with my phone. Earbud + inline mic + control button to start/terminate a call.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

... With no way to stop the call via the headset, one must unlock the phone and terminate the call manually. In other words, break the law.
    I use a Plantronics earset with my Inspire and it handles answering and disconnecting the call from the headset without issues. I can initiate voice-dialing as well. My issue is that is doesn't confirm the dialing request before dialing.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Baltz View Post
    I use a Plantronics earset with my Inspire and it handles answering and disconnecting the call from the headset without issues. I can initiate voice-dialing as well. My issue is that is doesn't confirm the dialing request before dialing.
    Good point, that's what I actually meant. I can certainly terminate the call via BT, but only after the voice control starts the dialer, and I had two cases where the call actually went through before I was able to get it terminated.

So what happened was that I decided to not fool around and just get a good headset. So I bought one that cost as much as my phone - a BlueAnt Q2. This particular model says that it does all this great stuff via voice commands.

I bought the Q2 last Saturday and at 1:30am I found myself wanting to see if it could really open my calendar. Now I do voice over's professionally and have always had pretty good success with voice controlled devices, and especially the non-BT voice controls in my Inspire. So imagine my surprise when I said "Open Calendar" and the phone said "Calling Wayne Taylor".

I tried saying "No", then "Stop", and I hit the Q2's multi-function at least three times. But my Inspire was absolutely convinced that I needed to call my friend at 1:30am and it just would quit. When the dialer came up on screen I managed to hit End before it rang.

FYI, the software required for the Q2's extensive voice capabilities? Vlingo, which works with any headset. So the Q2 will likely be traded for a Plantronics, as its voice commands are annoying. You probably make a call by tapping the MFB, right? Well with the Q2, you tap the MFB, then you save "Phone Commands", and then you wait while it says "Activating the in-built dialer of the connected phone". And then the dialer of choice is activated (Vlingo, in my case), and then you finally get to say a name.

And with respect to Vlingo, the only way to get voice confirmation is to
    a) use Vlingo's car mode and
    b) activate voice dialing via the on-screen button and not your BT's MFB (if you use the MFB you will get Vlingo's non-car mode dialer which requires you to confirm your choice visually)

I'm hoping that I can find some way to make the voice dialing work reasonably well as I absolutely love the rest of this phone.

Vlingo works well, but its inability to initiate a call without having to look at the screen makes it much less usable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links