Ladies and Gentlemen, We Have S-Off and Root!

This is a discussion on Ladies and Gentlemen, We Have S-Off and Root! within the HTC Sensation 4G forums, part of the HTC Android Phones category; Originally Posted by jntdroid When you do that, the flickering DOES go away, however it won't let you uninstall without backing out and going back ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen, We Have S-Off and Root!

Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    When you do that, the flickering DOES go away, however it won't let you uninstall without backing out and going back in. I gave it a full minute before trying anything.
    Do you have a task killer handy? Retry, but Kill All before attempting to nav into Apps...does it still flicker/'computing'?...
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Killing everything didn't seem to make any difference - the key is waiting for all of them to compute, which didn't seem any shorter with everything killed. So weird... Might try freezing more Sense related stuff and see if that helps. Problem is I like some parts of Sense.

Hey did you freeze or get rid of the Sense lock screen? I tried that earlier, so it would revert to the stock Android lock screen, but when receiving calls while the phone is locked, it evidently messes with the answer screen as well... Basically couldn't answer from locked position.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Interesting. FWIW, I use 'No Lock' app from Market, as I've always hated a locked screen (what's the purpose, to waste more of my time?). I froze:
    HTC Sense (com.htc.launcher
    HTC Sense (com.htc.cs)
    HTC Hub (com.htc.wdm)
    HTC Hub Sync Provider (same com)

so far, prolly will do more as I test results..baby steps for stability.

I'm going to try and freeze a LOT today and see how it affects things... b/c it definitely seems to be a memory issue, or an issue with how it's being allocated.

How's that 1930mah treating you Alpha? Big difference? I'm always a little leary of "3rd party" extended batteries, as my experience in the past has been that they don't really add much, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    I'm going to try and freeze a LOT today and see how it affects things... b/c it definitely seems to be a memory issue, or an issue with how it's being allocated.

How's that 1930mah treating you Alpha? Big difference? I'm always a little leary of "3rd party" extended batteries, as my experience in the past has been that they don't really add much, if at all.
    Go ahead and write down all the frozen pieces, I'm curious as well!
    So far, I've noticed quite a bit more cell life than I had prior, but it's too early to tell...however, my wife is stoked! In exercising her new cell, it took her unit two days to finally die, granted she was just fiddling around as usual...it seemed to take forever! (methinks I might be secretly cell-swapping!) :D I'll have more info as I use my Sensation normally during the week.

So I pulled a LOT from /system/app and stuck it on my SD card. I remembered from my Thunderbolt/Inc2 days that once you're not using Sense, you can pretty much pull anything related to a Sense widget - that alone frees up a lot of internal memory. I'm too lazy to type it all out, so I just took some "snips" in Windows 7... :

Name:  debloat1.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  86.4 KBName:  debloat2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  87.7 KBName:  debloat3.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  86.5 KBName:  debloat4.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  74.4 KB

[edit: still having lockscreen issues, WidgetLocker is an inconsistent solution, fwiw...] I can tell you that if you disable or remove HTCLockScreen.apk, unless you have something like Widget Locker installed, you can't answer the phone from the lockscreen - haven't figured that one out yet, but I kinda like Widget Locker anyway for lockscreen notifications.

Also if you don't disable htclockscreen, but do disable one of the idlescreen apk's, you'll be S.O.L. and unable to get into the phone without manually pushing/renaming (depending on how you disabled it) through CWM - requiring adb and all that... so for those of you that haven't messed with adb, I wouldn't mess with the lockscreen stuff too much.

Here are a few screenshots - it's running really nice and feeling much more "vanilla"... so far no errors have cropped up besides the lockscreen thing, which was user error anyway:

Of course, then I find THIS section over at XDA, with plenty of debloated ROMs, as well as some flashable zip's that are meant just for debloating...
    Last edited by jntdroid; 08-17-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: new info...

Also FWIW, the "stock" HTC 1730mah battery from HTCPedia is really strong... I've been unplugged for 4 hours now - a little light usage while tinkering with screenshots and all that above, and I'm still at 100%... I had it plugged in via usb to my computer for about 5 minutes to take those screen snips, and that's it.

I keep trying to stick with Sense b/c I really like some of the widgets... but man, 3.0 really is just a memory sucker. Every time I go back to LP or ADW or GO, it seems to run better all the way around - even the issues in the manage apps area... the phone absolutely flies without Sense 3.0...

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    See if you can find some widget replacements in the Market?
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    See if you can find some widget replacements in the Market?
    been able to do that with just about everything but FriendStream - really like that Sense widget...

Alpha how's that 1930 mah going?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links