need help upgrading my m860

This is a discussion on need help upgrading my m860 within the Huawei M860 forums, part of the Huawei Android Phones category; hi i wanna upgrade my huawei m860 to 2.3 , the problem its i dont have a pc to download the zip files into my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scur

Thread: need help upgrading my m860

need help upgrading my m860

hi i wanna upgrade my huawei m860 to 2.3 , the problem its i dont have a pc to download the zip files into my sd card. can i upgrade using only the phone to download the files and can u teach me the steps to follow....
    plz help my phone its so slow

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Before you start, charge your battery. This little step can save you.

First you have to root your phone. Make sure you go to Settings>Applications and check Unknown sources, than continue on into Development and check USB debugging. You shouldn't need debugging checked if you're not using a computer, but I've never flashed without it checked. No reason to tempt fate. Now you can root your phone. If you're currently running 2.1, you need Z4Root from http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...5&d=1290341328 and if you're running 2.2 you need Gingerbreak from http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1303829207. Run and root.

Head to the market and grab 1Tap Cleaner Pro and clear your cache. That should help speed things up while you prepare for flashing.

Next, you need Titanium Backup (TB) from the market. Backup all your apps with data, or at least the ones you want to keep. You can perform batch operations by hitting the menu button while in the apps list. You're going to have to download a fair bit of data, and downloading over an Android gets you bad downloads more often than you'd think. Bad downloads = problems. Backups = safety nets.

Then, you need to grab ROM Manager from the market. Run ROM Manager, and Install ClockWork Mod (CWM). (fyi, CWM installs things using zip files. Keep all .zip files zipped, don't unzip them.)

Now grab PlayfulGod's Cyanogen Mod 7.2 ROM with 710 OverClock (CM7) from either ROM Manager, or if having just the free version won't let you, from http://playfuldroidz.com/media/Ascen...011-signed.zip and make sure you move it to your sdcard's root (main) directory with whatever file manager you wish to use.

Also grab your Google Apps (gapps), which you'll need to get your phone under way, from http://www.mediafire.com/?ynh2skrzifuq054 and move it to your sdcard's root directory.

If you're on Metro, you'll need to get the mms fix (metroff) from http://techygeek.org/media/MetrOFF-v...Off_signed.zip and move it to your sdcard's root directory also. But if you're on Cricket, skip this.

To prepare to back up your current system, make as much room on your card as possible. You'll need anywhere from 200mb to 800mb for a nandroid backup, depending on the amount of apps and data you have. If you have music or videos, take the time to send them to Dropbox or somewhere in the clouds if need be. Without a computer, you really need a nandroid backup just in case.

You need to run CWM, either start it from within ROM Manager, or if your phone is off then you hold both the volume up and call button (the left one) and without letting go of them tap the power button. Don't let go of them until you see the CWM screen.

Now , the nandroid backup. Scroll down with the trackball to "backup and restore" and tap the trackball to select it (the back button backs you up a menu, fyi.) Select "backup." This will back up your system as it is now, so if anything happens you can get back to where you started. I can never stress enough the importance of backups. Send a copy off to the clouds if you wish by "rebooting system now", but as long as it's on your card, it's fine.

And now you've got your backups, your files, and your tools. If you left CWM, get back into it. It's time to flash your phone. Select these commands...
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    mounts and storage
    format boot
    format system
    format data
    format cache
    (back out to main menu, DON'T FORMAT SDCARD)
    advanced
    wipe dalvik cache
    (back out to main menu)
    install zip from sdcard
    choose zip from sdcard
    find your CM7 zip and select it, then when it's finished select your gapps zip
    (when both are finished, back out to main menu)
    advanced
    fix permissions
    (back out to main menu)
    reboot system now

Wait for a bit and let it settle down, then go through your setup. After that, if you're on Metro, go back into CWM again and install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard, select the metroff zip, and reboot when it's done. Don't try to save time by doing this when you flash your phone, you need to boot into CM7 at least once first.

Head to the market and grab TB, run it, and it will read from the folder it left behind. Restore user apps with data, but don't restore system data. It won't like it.

And that's it.The thing about flashing a new ROM on the Ascend is that it can take several extra minutes to boot up the first time and it will run laggy for a bit after that until it settles in and it's had a few reboots, then the difference becomes obvious and you'll wonder how you lived with stock once you've adjusted to it. If it doesn't start up within 10 minutes, do a battery pull and reboot. If it sticks again, do a battery pull, and boot into CWM recovery again, go into advanced, and fix permissions. Try to reboot again. If it still won't start up after a couple more tries, you'll have to reboot back into CWM, and select wipe data/factory reset. If it still won't start up, go back into CWM, head into backup and restore, select your nandroid backup (it's named after the date and time of creation), get back to where you were, and start all over again with fresh backups. Infuriatingly time-consuming, but that's the price of no computer.

Once you get access to a computer, copy your entire sdcard to your computer, go into CWM, select advanced, partition sdcard, 512M, 32M. Once it's done and it's created a sd-ext partition, put your stuff back on the card (since it was wiped out when you created the sd-ext). That will partition your sdcard and create a sd-ext, and CM7 will use this as an extension of your memory, thus increasing the number of apps you can have, freeing up lots of memory for other things to run, and letting your phone run faster. You can grab A2SDGUI from the market to fiddle and monitor your sd-ext if you like. And don't forget to clear your market and browser cache periodically. Those are the 2 big caches on your phone.

Nothing left but to wish you the best of luck!
    Last edited by Scur; 11-27-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    MCTN84 likes this.

Sent from my M860 using Android.net

Hey I'm new to this forum and like you I don't have a PC and I'm trying to upgrade to gingerbread 2.3 manually also. Have you followed these instructions? If so, Did it work for you??

Ads