Well, I did it. I took the plunge last night and bought a G2 @ Costco for $49 plus full pre-rebate tax even in NC :/ on the last day of the promotion.

Still, a very good deal for this phone. I haven't had much time to play with it (I'm renovating a home right now after my day job), but I think I'm going to like it. I imagine it will take practice, but after using iOS for such a long time, I never even think to use the keyboard, and when I try it's really awkward. Swipe is cool though. Makes me wonder though if I wouldn't be better off with a phone sans keyboard. One reason I considered the nexus one.
I really like the solid feel of the phone. I'm totally ignorant of Android, but I'm sure it'll be fun to learn and explore. I was especially pleased when the phone was immediately recognized by my pc running Ubuntu, and works flawlessly with the Banshee music player. That was a primary motivation in choosing Android over iOS.
The phone is fast, very responsive so far. Once I'm more confident with Android, I imagine I'll overclock it. The only issue I've had is with the speaker volume which I find to be entirely too low. I'm not sure if there is a setting somewhere to make it better?