Introducing Myself as a Member

This is a discussion on Introducing Myself as a Member within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi all, My name is Jim; I am on Pacific Time (U.S.A.) and have a new Motorola Droid 2 Global (with Verizon). I am completely ...

Thread: Introducing Myself as a Member

Introducing Myself as a Member

Hi all,

My name is Jim; I am on Pacific Time (U.S.A.) and have a new Motorola Droid 2 Global (with Verizon). I am completely new to all of this and want to learn a few things along the way (though have no aspirations of developing the kind of in-depth expertise that many of the members have).
    I do have a few beginning questions:
    1. what is a good source to know good programs from bad ones? The Android Market seems to have everything.
    2. is there a way to search more specifically for applications in the Android Market? There are these broad categories (like Tools) within which there seems to be no internal organization---just hundreds of applications listed, seemingly randomly. Maybe there is an order there I just have not discovered. In Blackberry App World, each major category (such as Utilities) has some sub-categories---and within each one of those one can select an order in which to view the listings, such as alphabetical, newest first, or (my favorite) user ratings. Is there a way to access Android Market listings that way?
    3. does anyone know of a good anti-spam program (like SpamFighter) for e-mail appearing on an Android? I see programs to fight spam on SMS but not yet on e-mail.
    4. I was interested in an application called Smart Keyboard (in Android Market) but in installing it, there appeared a warning, something to the effect of caution, this program can access all your personal information . . . The Application, in its instructions, said there would be such a warning and to ignore it as it is just sort of a boilerplate that appears in any keyboard type of program. Is that true? Is it OK or should one steer clear of the application?
    5. is there a section of these forums for beginners---sort of For the Android-Challenged?
    Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Welcome. I'll answer your questions based on how I do things.

1. When looking at downloading an app, when you select it it will show you the permissions you're giving the app. If its a basic app like star wars Soundboard app, then I would be leery if it asked for permissions to access my contacts and personal info. If the app has a good rating and has been around for awhile then I use an app called Permissions Denied by stericson to strip the iffy permissions.

2. I search for an app like file manager then I scroll all the way down and look at related apps. The related apps are usually the more popular higher rated apps.

3. AV is not needed on the android platform. There are not enough known viruses to create a database to compare against. Just be carefully what apps you download (see #1). Most email viruses target windows

4. Any keyboard replacement will have this warning. Again just check permissions and stick with popular apps.

5. You're here. Take a look around and ask questions as needed.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links