Rules?

This is a discussion on Rules? within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hey I've been wandering around a lot, just reading different things in different places, trying to learn about this vast new world of Android. It ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By furbearingmammal

Thread: Rules?

Rules?

Hey I've been wandering around a lot, just reading different things in different places, trying to learn about this vast new world of Android. It seems as big as the world itself. How could I have known about this secret society if that dude at the store hadn't told me about the promo t-mobile was having (free smart phone). I thought, "well my contact with century tell is up. This 3 year-old lg flip-phone is pretty scratched up". Am I ever glad I made the big move. I think I thought I could never figure one out (I always heard you need to be 2% smarter than the object you're working on). But I knew that I loved chess, fairly good at it; and i'm a master carpenter (before the wheelchair). Don't you got to be kinda smart to do dat? But oohh is this so different! Anyway, (sorry), to my question: is it proper for me to just jump into the middle of a conversation if I think I can help? Maybe I will give bad advice? Am I supposed to leave the answering to a certain group of people (moderators or generals)? Please tell me if I'm doing wrong. I'm here to learn, but I sure like helping people. You smart guys have taught me a lot in a short time, got me to come out from my rock and made me feel welcome (I live alone with noone to talk to but my pit .She just looks at me funny). Anyway, you got the very long version of my question. Thank you.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    If you think you can help, feel free to join in. One of the things we encourage here, and at all the other Forum Foundry websites, is members helping members.

As they say, many hands make light work, and different viewpoints and experiences can be very helpful. Sometimes I forget about certain apps and someone has a better suggestion than I do, and sometimes I have a better understanding of what someone is asking than the person trying to help. In the end, maybe it evens out, maybe not, but as long as someone got the help they needed, that's the most important part.
    fish1552 likes this.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    If you think you can help, feel free to join in. One of the things we encourage here, and at all the other Forum Foundry websites, is members helping members.

As they say, many hands make light work, and different viewpoints and experiences can be very helpful. Sometimes I forget about certain apps and someone has a better suggestion than I do, and sometimes I have a better understanding of what someone is asking than the person trying to help. In the end, maybe it evens out, maybe not, but as long as someone got the help they needed, that's the most important part.
    Okay. Thank-you

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    RE: your question on cross-posting:

Cross-posting is posting the same question multiple times in multiple sub-forums or threads, usually in a short period of time, and usually expressly for the purpose of garnering an issue attention in a hurry. It is really annoying because people will start to help on one thread and someone else will try to help on another... So we prefer that you post once and, if nothing is forthcoming in a reasonable amount of time, that you bump your own thread rather than posting it elsewhere. A Mod, SMod, or Admin will usually notice -- or someone can report the post or just PM one of the staff -- and move it to an appropriate location if the thread is in the wrong place to garner it more attention. Otherwise it simply moves your post to the top of the queue, thereby giving it higher status, and making it more likely someone will see it.

The length of time one should wait between posting and bumping varies, but usually it depends on how important the issue is and how busy the forum is. If it's pretty dead there's no point in bumping, and if it's jumping then bumping only makes you look impatient if you do it too soon.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Twitter
    alostpacket
    Welcome to the forums

Twitter
    fish1552
    I'll second FBM. Just because some of us may be Mods, Admins or Rescue Squad doesn't mean we are always right. While we try to stay up on things, we may misunderstand something we read, or very simply (this would be for me at least), be making a best educated guess because we may not have the very same device. While I'd love to have one of every Android device out there, I doubt I could master them all anyway. So this place couldn't be the success it is without people on each device helping others with those same devices.

Even if you post something wrong and forum members correct you, as a whole it won't be like some places where they try to beat you to a pulp about it. The Forum Foundry sites have a more pleasant atmosphere and the mods don't put up with nasty people.

It is pleasant here. No to nasty's!

Quote Originally Posted by alostpacket View Post
    Welcome to the forums
    Thank-you! Nice to be here!

Android Sr Member Hawaiian Princess's Avatar
    Welcome

Sent from my Xoom using Android.net
    Swyped with an ALOHA from Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Princess View Post
    Welcome

Sent from my Xoom using Android.net
    Thank-you hp