New member introduction: Explorer from Sydney - Galaxy S2 from Nokia N97

This is a discussion on New member introduction: Explorer from Sydney - Galaxy S2 from Nokia N97 within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi all, I live in Rhodes, Sydney, Australia. I have bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to relace my old Nokia N97 which replaced a ...

Thread: New member introduction: Explorer from Sydney - Galaxy S2 from Nokia N97

New member introduction: Explorer from Sydney - Galaxy S2 from Nokia N97

Hi all,

I live in Rhodes, Sydney, Australia. I have bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to relace my old Nokia N97 which replaced a Nokia N95.

My new carrier is Virgin mobile but it is carried by Optus which was my old carrier. Optus probably has the second best network coverage after Telstra and is cheaper than Telstra. Virgin was marginally cheaper than Optus but allows international calls in the plan whereas Optus didn't.

Australian carriers are among the most expensive in the developed world for mobile telephony and messaging and mobile internet.

I mainly use the phone for
    1. phone for calling and texts
    2. contacts details
    3. camera/photo and movie viewer
    4. internet reading mainly news and finance (Yahoo finance mainly).
    5. Music player for car when on rutted/corrugated outback dirt roads/tracks where there is little radio and CDs jump from bumps
    6. Navigation including in remote places where there is no network reception so working solely on the GPS without wireless or network assistance
    5. Appointments, tasks and anniversaries

I also use it sometimes for
    5. Calculator/converter
    6. Timer stopwatch

I like to use bluetooth for transferring a small number of files eg 1 album, and USB (without going through any programs like Ovi or Kies) for bulk file transfer.

My Nokia N95 and N97 were pretty good for all of these uses but the GPS was very slow to find satellites in remote places when I travelled in outback NSW, SA and Qld, or was outside phone reception (the main networks in Australia cover 95% of the population, but probably only 15% (just a guess) of the land mass, so no network assistance is available outside most towns with less than say 3,000 people or on highways more than 15km/10miles from such a town so it is good along much of the east coast outside the capital cities, but not elsewhere.

I have found migrating from Nokia to Android really tough and time consuming because I was not already a major user of google for contacts, tasks, appointments and anniversaries. In fact I might not have changed if I had known how hard it would be to move my contacts/diary. I am amazed Android don't have a feature that analyses Nokia backups and extracts all the data into an android friendly database - if it does I'd love to hear about it. UPDATE 23/8: It might have been easier if I used MS outlook, but I don't have/have access to it.

I have also found the bluetooth functionality disappointing so far as there doesn't seem to be any File Transfer Service on the phone, just object Push. UPDATE 23/8: I have now tried Bluetooth File Transfer from Android Market but it hangs the IVT bluetooth on my WinXP PC so I still don't have convenient bluetooth file transfer..

The reason for changing was because Android is all the rage (I'm only human), my last 2 Nokia's didn't last the 2 years of my phone plan contract and Android should allow a choice of handsets and manufacturers in future much greater than Nokia or Apple and if I move to Google Calendar and contacts then migration should be relatively easy next time. I will also probably find apps that I will like although in Australia iPhone apps are far more commonly advertised than Android, but there are virtually none advertised for Nokia.

I am interested in tips and tricks for
    1. migration from Nokia N97 including transferring data from backup files (.nbu)
    2. Bluetooth transfer
    3 GPS based (not network or wireless assisted), Navigation (the network assisted is fine and I use that too, but the pure GPS is really useful for visiting places in remote areas.
    4. UPDATE 23/8 how best to get reminders about birthdays of people, many of whom are too young to have email and mobile phones so not in my Google contacts. They just sat in the Calendar function of my Nokia phones.
    Last edited by Explorer; 08-23-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Update

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    alostpacket
    I know little to nothing about Nokia phones but welcome to the forums

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links