ally or droid?

This is a discussion on ally or droid? within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; The ally is a bit slow kinda wish i had gotten a different phone with a better processor but the feel of it is awesome! ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ally or droid?

The ally is a bit slow kinda wish i had gotten a different phone with a better processor

but the feel of it is awesome! keyboard feels so much better then the droids

Like Tamilyn mentioned,... lots of folks love the Ally's slide-out keyboard. Big,..easy to use,...really hard to beat for texting.

AA, I don't know about obsolete. Few years ago I had a new LG enV! I used that phone for 2 years, when I upgraded I gave my enV to a friend and she is still using it. Not kiddin. It still works like,(and looks 90%) brand new.

But you're right my friend. If folks need the latest or "best" cell phone,...they'll be buying a new one every 6 months.

The Ally does everything I use a phone for, plus much more. I think Joe started a discussion about all the different things he uses his Ally for.

Yes, here it is...

http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/85...d-do-all-this/

Obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore. It just means technologically after 6 months a phone is a dinosaur. Maybe not 6 months, but by a year, most apps will prolly not work on the Ally or the Droid1, due to the new upgrades, memory boosts, ect.

I know people who have Windows 98 computers. They work fine, but they're definitely obsolete.

By obsolete, I meant that technology and software have advanced enough to no longer be compatible for the phone. Now that we are getting Android 2.2, we have about 6 more months until the Ally is obsolete since that is about the time Android 3 will be released. Without 2.2, I would have already considered it obsolete.

This article discusses a cell phone life span: Cell Phone Models Change Frequently They say the life cycle of a phone is 9 to 12 months and in many cases the next phone has been leaked before its predecessor has even been released. It also talks about trying to find batteries and accessories for phones after a year.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by mindytyson3 View Post
    hello everyone! i am new to this site! i have an upgrade for next month on the 15th and i absolutely love smart phones so i have decided to try a smart phone that has a touch screen on it and plus the qwerty keyboard just incase the virtual keyboard isn't for me..ha. anyways, my husband has the droid and i like his but i am wanting to know what everyone thinks about the lg ally first before deciding on the droid. please anyone and everyone on this site please send me a message back and give me your review of the lg ally so that way i can decide on which one to get. thanks so much for everyones help!

I went from the Samsung Glyde to the Samsung Omnia to the LG Ally. Switching from my beloved Samsung was tough but those phones were awful. ESPECIALLY the Glyde. The Ally is a saint compared to some phones. If you get a Windows phone like the Omnia II then you'll need to know how to use a computer first. This phone is so much simpler. I got a great deal for it in the middle of my contract with the Omnia for $180. It was so worth it. This phone is awesome if you love smartphones and texting

Ok, I know the meaning of the word "obsolete". The point I am making is that an obsolete phone works as well as a new one.

AA reads the article and says "the average lifetime for a new smartphone is about 6 months, after that it is obsolete" .

Are you implying that the phone will only be useable for 6 months, the end of it's "average lifetime"?

I'm talking about the "service" life of the phone. Sure, tecnically, the phone is obsolete. But to say the average lifetime of a cell phone is 6 months is simply not true.

Here again,...if you have to have the latest and coolest phone, you'll be buying a new one every 6 months as new models are released.

Myself, I'm happy with my obsolete phone,....and TV,...and computer....and home theater....

People are still buying the Ally at a good rate, despite its obsolence. Are they making a bad choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Ok, I know the meaning of the word "obsolete". The point I am making is that an obsolete phone works as well as a new one.

AA reads the article and says "the average lifetime for a new smartphone is about 6 months, after that it is obsolete" .

Are you implying that the phone will only be useable for 6 months, the end of it's "average lifetime"?

I'm talking about the "service" life of the phone. Sure, tecnically, the phone is obsolete. But to say the average lifetime of a cell phone is 6 months is simply not true.

Here again,...if you have to have the latest and coolest phone, you'll be buying a new one every 6 months as new models are released.

Myself, I'm happy with my obsolete phone,....and TV,...and computer....and home theater....

People are still buying the Ally at a good rate, despite its obsolence. Are they making a bad choice?

Does anyone know the service life of phones? I mean as long as phone calls and text messages don't change too much, the average phone could last you decades.

Hard question to answer Dolfan. It depends on several things, but with reasonable care they last as long as other consumer grade electronics like a TV or radio.

My own experience with my enV is that with medium everyday use, it has worked like new for...hmm...little over 3 years now?

When I bought it new, I bought the EL battery at the same time and both the OEM battery and the EL still work like new without much loss of capacity.

After 8,..maybe 10 charge cycles I'd switch them.

By the way, even though the enV is obsolete, there are still all kinds of things availble for download. Apps,..games...ringtones....etc. It runs VZ navigator and V-cast music and videos with no effort...no overheating...no shutdowns or restarts....EL battery charge last over a week. It sends all types of messages...no problems.

And it's no problem finding parts or accessories for it. Can you order them from Verizon?....no, not for 2 years now. But they're all over phone sites....Ebay...even NOS (new old stock) parts.

Sorry Minty, it is the techie in me.

In my second post I used the term life cycle. I incorrectly used the term lifespan in my first post.

The lifetime of the phone could be years although most of the phones I have owned have never made it through my 2 year contract.

Is someone who buys an Ally today making a bad choice? No, because the same holds true for all phones and if you wait for the next better phone by the time you get it another phone with more features will be announced.
    Motorola Droid 4

No apology needed AA,....we're all ok here. This is another one of those threads that gets interesting and folks are wanting to discuss the topic.

Dolfan asked a good question though. Makes me wonder what causes the untimely death of so many phones, other than dropping or getting wet.

I must admit, I'm very careful with my phone and if not at home I carry it in a thick fleece drawstring pouch. I know,...very few people carry their phone in a pouch....but it works great for me!

If I'm wearing something with big pockets, I put the pouch in the pocket. I don't miss calls, but I have to get the pouch out, then get the phone out of the pouch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links