ally or droid?

This is a discussion on ally or droid? within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; My phones just usually quit working. I had one that would die after a minute of phone use. It started after I had it for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ally or droid?

My phones just usually quit working.

I had one that would die after a minute of phone use. It started after I had it for 18 months. I fought Verizon for 5 months over it until I upgraded to the LG Touch. I made the mistake of upgrading 2 weeks early and did not get my discount.
    Motorola Droid 4

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    I've never had an issue with my phones lasting 2+ years. I have an original LG VX9800 "the V" from 5 years ago that works great yet. It's a toy for my 1 and 3 year olds now though. My wife using an enV that was given to her by a friend and is now 3ish years old. The battery is starting to show its age though. The V has had an ebay battery replacement once.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkerie View Post
    I've never had an issue with my phones lasting 2+ years. I have an original LG VX9800 "the V" from 5 years ago that works great yet. It's a toy for my 1 and 3 year olds now though. My wife using an enV that was given to her by a friend and is now 3ish years old. The battery is starting to show its age though. The V has had an ebay battery replacement once.

My enV Touch still works but I only had it for a year.
    Motorola Droid 4

Here is an interesting article about the EOL (End of Life) for Verizon phones: Verizon Phones May See End Life March 2011

In it, Droid Incredible, Droid X, LG Ally, and Droid 2 are all listed as being slated for EOL on March 31st, 2011. I am surprised to see the Droid 2 listed along with the others.
    Motorola Droid 4

Interesting AA, but no big deal. Even at the EOL date (which could change) there will still be support for the phones. Like we discussed in another thread (where I made the.. err.....rather clumsy analogy of a obsolete phone with a used one) a phone at it's EOL works as good as a new one.

That is this thread isn't it?
    Motorola Droid 4

Oh jeeze,...you're right AA. Sorry I overlooked that my friend. I sometimes get the threads confused, or cannot find the one I know is here somewhere.

Please bear with me, besides the time I spend at this site I'm at several other cellphone sites each day, including yours.

Very interesting thread!

I was coming up through Samsung messaging phones (most notably, the Alias) before I switched to the LG enV Touch. Almost as soon as I got the touch, the Android-based phones started taking off, and I felt like my Touch was obsolete. Not that it was a bad phone -- it's a great phone. It just didn't do all the things an Android phone could do.

When I went from the Alias to the enV Touch, my daughter, who was 16 at the time, had not gotten a new phone since she was about 12 or 13, and her phone was very entry level. It had a camera, and that was about it. It was totally functional, but it was totally obsolete (and even worse for a 16-year-old, although she didn't say it, was that it was totally uncool!). So when I upgraded from the Alias to the Touch, I worked it so I could get my daughter a new phone as well, and she wound up with the enV 2, which was obsolete out of the box (the enV 3 had just been rolled out), but which my daughter absolutely loved because it was such a step up from her original phone.

When I went all weak in the knees for Android and purchased the Ally, I gave my Touch to my daughter. While it was obsolete to me, it's been a boon to her. She loves the upgraded browser, the touch screen, etc.

So really, to me, obsolescence, life span, life cycle, all really depend on the user and what he or she expects and desires of a cell phone. Most of these phones are pretty durable, and if you don't drop them from a hight or drop them into water, they will work for years and years. But would you want to use a flip phone with a 1.6 megapixel camera and a 1-inch internal screen with hundreds of colors? To each his own...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links