Unfixable error message

This is a discussion on Unfixable error message within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I got an LG Ally about five weeks ago and am generally well satisfied. But when I plug the phone into my laptop, running Windows ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unfixable error message

I got an LG Ally about five weeks ago and am generally well satisfied. But when I plug the phone into my laptop, running Windows Vista I always get the same message: "Windows needs to install driver software for LG Mobile USB modem." There are three options. One is "don't show this message again," which doesn't work. A Another is to search for the driver, which doesn't work. I am told to install the driver off a disc that I didn't get with the phone. Another is "Cancel," which sometimes works long enough for the message to disappear--and come back again.

I get multiple iterations of this message every single day. Is there a driver somewhere on line? I can't find it. What is it a driver for? Do I need it? I hesitate to even post this, because I'm sure this problem has been addressed many times on this site--but I can't find that either. I'm a newbie, but not an idiot. Help!

The Flatfish.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I see I didn't mention that I'm simply plugging the phone in to charge it. But I have imported pictures from the phone to Picasa on the computer without trouble, so data transfer is working. The Flatfish

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    I wouldn't think that message should pop up when you are only trying to charge, but regardless, having the USB drivers couldn't hurt.

http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/...r-for-the-ally
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Naturally after posting this I immediately found the answer in the LG Ally Help forum, in the thread on the first page called "Device Driver . . . something." For the assistance of other newbies follow these instructions precisely:

1. Click on one of the links there. If that doesn't work click on another one.

2. Install something on your computer.

3. Restart your computer when it tells you to or whenever you feel like.

4. Watch a box open on your phone. A yellow arrow comes out and points at a green man.

5. Stuff happens. Your phone says it can't receive anything because it's updating. A bar moves from left to right. Your phone changes its mind.

6. When your computer restarts, there is no error message any more.

7. Life is Good.

There are other, more complicated directions about saving everything on your phone or something terrible may happen. I believe these are for people who care. Ignore them.

I hope this helps. I am now going to bed where I will sleep the sleep of the just and the techie. Tomorrow I will resume my efforts to master the Ally by the experimental process. This is the same method a dog uses to open a gate. It involves a great deal of random pawing. Striking results may be obtained, but they are irreproducible.

The Flatfish.

Oh Black metal buick! Thanks! I didn't see your reply come in, I guess because I was writing a silly message. I will amend my instructions: Newbies! use Mr. Buick's link!

The Flatfish

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Haha no problem glad you were able to find it for yourself as well.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

"Stuff Happens!" LOL

Flat fish..thanks..excellent synopsis of the learning curve with the Ally but Smartphones in general.

Go the fellow newbies!

lol Mr. Flatfish.....could ya leave another posting somewhere.....I mean here, at this site

Quote Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
    Flat fish..thanks..excellent synopsis of the learning curve with the Ally but Smartphones in general.

Go the fellow newbies!

Yeah, I was totally amazed that there is no book, apart from "Tips and Tricks"--not even on line. It took me a week to understand that Android is the operating system. I was looking for something like the "Missing Manual" book for the i-phone, only for the "Android." There is no Android. . . I couldn't even understand the instructions for putting a plastic cover over the screen, because. . . well . . . there really weren't any. Forget learning. . . every day I find that I've forgotten something I knew how to do yesterday. . . I'm still wondering stuff like "if I'm typing on the screen, can I fix a letter without erasing the entire word back to the point--i.e., can I move the cursor?" And "do I get the letter wrong so often because I'm left-handed, and the screen somehow expects that letters will be approached from the right?" And "When I delete e-mail messages, do they go to a "deleted messages" folder or are they actually deleted?"

I'm old enough to remember when WordPerfect came with directions on glossy colored stock in two fat loose-leaf binders, and then spent 30 percent of its operating budget on manning the phones. It is literally true that I could easily do things on that program, in 1987, that I cannot do now on Word.

The Flatfish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links