New(ish) Member

This is a discussion on New(ish) Member within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I've posted a couple of times, but this is my official intro post. Mike from Michigan. Moving from LG Dare to LG Ally. Getting my ...

Thread: New(ish) Member

I've posted a couple of times, but this is my official intro post.

Mike from Michigan. Moving from LG Dare to LG Ally.

Getting my Ally tonight.

I went to the Verizon store at lunch and played with the Ally, Droid 2 and Samsung Fascinate.

Fascinate won the WOW category

Droid 2 won the best package category (3.7" screen, keyboard, all in a smaller sized phone)

Ally won as far as being the best phone and texting tool.

Texting was extremely difficult with the Droid 2 and Samsung (swype isn't for me).

Ally had the best call quality.

I do have a question. What is 'The Market' that is always referenced (but a link never provided). 99.9% of you must know what it is.

All I know is I want to go there to get Fancy Widget. Is it

PS. I still don't know how Ally forums picked up my photo. I have litteraly 20,000 photos on my computer (I'm a pro photographer) and somehow my mug got picked up for the forums. I did not add it manually. Weird.

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

There is an app on your phone called Market that will take you to the Android Market where most developers place their apps for download.

You can go there on your PC but you can only see the top downloaded apps.

The bad part about the market is that it isn't user friendly and unless you already know the name of the app you want (Or have hours to kill) it is difficult to find good apps.

An alternative is to go to where it is on your PC and search for apps there.
    Motorola Droid 4

One of the first apps you should get that is a great companion to appbrain is 'barcode scanner.' You just scan the QR code and it takes you straight to the app in the market for download. I use it all the time!

Agreed! ALL. THE. TIME. AppBrain and Barcode Scanner make App searching cool and fun! Add AppBrain to your phone and you can sync what you have tagged on the AppBrain website, or you can scan the QR Code (that square block with black and white dashes all around it) to take you to the Market to get the App. Or you can set it up to automatically install Apps from the website to your phone. I don't do that though. Instead, I use AppBrain to hold Apps I may want to look at later but do not have space for currently.

A great thing about the Market is that they are supposedly checked for security (not that AppBrain Apps aren't safe). Some Apps found in AppBrain may not be in the Market and vice versa. The Market also only shows you what is compatible for your phone (or so I have read). You need to set that up in AppBrain.

Barcode Scanner also scans other codes, like food labels to make groceries lists, BTW. You can even scan items at stores and find other local stores that might sell the item cheaper. Cool, eh?

Welcome to the Ally!

1 times
    I use the barcode scanner to scan QR codes as well. It does look kinda funny when I'm at work and I'm scanning a QR code. It looks like I'm taking a picture of my computer screen!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links